SailNet Community banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Solenoid is a relay... can you hear anything when you apply 12v? I don't know if this would be a test but it's worth a try. Maybe
After if appeared to fail on the engine, I removed it and put applied 13.7v across the terminals. There was no noise from the solenoid, and an ohmeter across the other terminals showed that they stayed open even when it was energized.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
After if appeared to fail on the engine, I removed it and put applied 13.7v across the terminals. There was no noise from the solenoid, and an ohmeter across the other terminals showed that they stayed open even when it was energized.
failed...

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
This may help!
What is the origin of this chart? Many if these match the colors of the wires Contest used in a VDO instrument panel I have.... but not all.

As far as replacement... not all those colors are easy to find!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Most people think their boat is the only boat like it, but boat builders and manufacturers use standards, just like automotive and residential,

Most people can't find replacement wire in the color codes they need to replace, so the next best choice is to use wire markers,

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
The challenge with all standards, especially if you buy a used boat, is whether prior owners abide by them. Even neat looking work could have been modified. I suspect the vast majority of used boats have DIY impact. Come to think of it, I’m not even sure I’d trust my yard to maintain OEM standards. No, I am sure, I don’t trust them.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
I would only use it as a guide not as gospel. On my 82 O'Day the wiring code was pretty much spot-on which really surprised me on a boat that old.

Knowing HOW TO USE testing tools like a multimeter is the real key of most of this garbage called wiring.

the wiring harness because of the high amperage running through under size wire on the old universal diesels melted the insulation into a big mass of plastic and wire, spot-on with MaineSail's advice also.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Just so one doesn't miss something so obvious you miss it. Starter?solinoid has to be grounded (-)for bench test .'Putting 13.7V across the terminals ' doesn't make that clear.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
I've always encouraged my techs (yes I once had employees) to test a component that's not working first; then, work backwards from there.

so.. make sure to starter is good blah blah blah... make sure the solenoid is good blah blah blah, make sure the switches buttons baubles and beads are good blah blah blah, ring out the wires (continuity test) lol

·
Senior Citizen
433 Posts
If the solinoid cap is removable you may be able to clean (with a fine file) the disc inside which closes the circuit between the battery and starter. The contact studs may be reversible (turn 180) to provide new contacts. If you can do this you will save $40.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts