SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been lurking, occasionally posting on sailnet for about 7 months now, which happens to coincide with the amount of time I have been sailing.

Growing up in San Diego, I used to watch the sailboats and always wanted to learn to sail. Instead, I learned to fly and now I fly big aluminum tubes across the oceans for a living. I also got into motorcycling as a kid and rode for 30 years. Last year I grew bored with riding and wanted a new challenge. I flew with a co-pilot who sailed and we had a lot of conversation about that, with him convincing me that I had to learn to sail and get a boat.

I flew Los Angeles layovers for about 2 months and found a school in Redondo Beach which had a couple of J-80's and a Farr 40. I got my keelboat certifications on the J-80's during long sessions while I was laying over. I also took a 3-day bareboat/large boat course on the Farr 40 on a few days off and we sailed to Catalina Island. I had a great instructor who taught me a lot and took me out in some west coast storms so I would have confidence in the weather.

After that I bought a 1977 Catalina 25 here in Virginia and kept it on the Potomac. I spent the summer sailing it every chance I got. My flying background allowed me to pick up a lot about sailing and navigation pretty quickly, and more importantly it gave me the safety-oriented background to always know that there is a lot I don't know and to prepare with knowledge and experience-building.

I quickly discovered that I wanted a bigger boat to cruise on comfortably. I bought a Morgan 416 Out Island in September and have sailed it quite a bit already in all kinds of weather. I found it was actually easier to single-hand than my Catalina. So far I love sailing! I sold my motorcycle and don't miss it at all. I hope to live aboard in another 5 years or so when my youngest goes to college. If I have enough saved, I may quit the career and go cruising.

Thats it for me. Always looking for others to sail with me on the Morgan, as I usually sail on weekdays out of Colonial Beach, VA as I work weekends most of the time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I am in colonial beach also. A little cold now, but have free time during the week. I sail, well am fixing up a 31 footer. Keep in touch. smooth sailing. Al

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in colonial beach also. A little cold now, but have free time during the week. I sail, well am fixing up a 31 footer. Keep in touch. smooth sailing. Al
Was just out yesterday getting the boat secure and it was freezing with the wind. I keep her down at CBYC. I'm keeping her ready to sail all winter for those Indian Summer days. I'll try to PM you if I am going out.

Brett

1 - 4 of 4 Posts