SailNet Community banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I agree. When I was cruising the US East Coast, I was able to work as a musician/entertainer, but in Mexico, I was not allowed to work at all. Same holds true with many of the island nations - I would not be permitted to work in my trade.

Generating sufficient cruising income is a real challenge, but with the conditions the OP posted, I don't believe this is remotely possible.

All the best,

Gary :cool::2 boat:

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
First, just wanted to say good luck.

Second, you may need to get your finances in order. I highly recommend this book:
https://amzn.com/1937077209

It'll be a lot of hard work, but get rid of debt, build up savings and you'll eventually be on a better foundation toward your dreams.

Again, best of luck to you and your family.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
Your latest blog entry now implies (correct me if I'm wrong) that you will be building a catamaran from scratch? A 50' footer? Is this correct?
There is something about living with this dream to mentally escape the pressure of everyday that I'm glad they have, given the enormity of the pressure in their lives.

However, building ones own boat is simply not realistic. It indicates a disconnect from reality. A guy I know, who was a stay at home Dad, while his wife worked, took over 20 years to do so. He was a naval architect by education.

Getting a real junker for free, hauling it to this free open space they describe and refitting it, would be the closest to reality. Still, only about 10 percent of folks that attempt this, ever pull it off successfully. It's way more work than one imagines. Especially one that's never done it, nor ever sailed before.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I admire you optimism and enthusiasm, but your plan has a less than 1% chance of happening. Building a 50 foot cat yourself while relying on Kickstarter funds to live on and build the boat is just not going to work.

The only way you might have a chance of pulling this off is to find an old large monohull that you could live on while you continue to work and make money to gradually fix it up. You could take some short cruises to get some experience with sailing and handling a large sailboat.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There is something about living with this dream to mentally escape the pressure of everyday...
And I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Heck, who hasn't dreamt of sailing the far oceans of the world and exotic destinations (yeah, I know, some of you are doing it :) ). But for most of us there's that pesky reality check involved, which typically centers around resour$es and time, seamanship and health.

It's always great to dream, but you must also be honest with yourself.

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
We may end up with my wife's grandson. Between the two of us have already raised and educated 4 kids. We both have made 6 figures for our entire careers. We are not rich but also not poor.
We could not afford to do what she is suggesting. Just the pediatric bills would break us. Even with healthy kids and the lower fee structure in other countries.
Have investigated home schooling at some length given our situation. To do this effectively is a major commitment in time and yes money. Yes here is great support among cruising families and home schooled kids statistically do as well or better then traditionally schooled kids but make no mistake its work.
We have been cruising 1/2 the year for several years now. Starting in November full time for me and in January will be full time for us both. Again to do this successfully involves work, time and resources. We have been putting money aside for three decades to make this happen.
It is doable if done in the context of extensive preparation and with suitable resources and the right kids. One does not need be a 1%er to pull this off and end up with great kids. But it's clear good intentions will only take you so far. It's clear to date OP has not thought this through. Just hope they do their due diligence before they commit any of their resources as children have only one childhood.
Being liveaboards in the US would seem doable given information shared. Actively cruising to other countries which is hard on the boat and resources seems unlikely to be conducive to successful child rearing with this number of children and resources proposed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
First I would like to point out this is a dream. Do I think this is going to happen? Probably not. No, I don't know anything about sailing, that is why I ask questions. The more research I do the more expensive I realize it is. Our dream is very improbable. Coming from the background I come from dreams don't come true. Still it is a dream.

I posted the questions here hoping that I could get answers that I struggle to find online. Please don't think that I would just put my kids on a boat and know nothing about the future of their safety. IF, by some miracle, we got to the point of even having a boat we would still be a long way from leaving the safety of a marina.

Thank you for the information about work possibilities. I have several friends who traveled (backpacking) and worked along the way in other countries. I had no idea getting employment would be so hard, they made it look and sound easy. They used sites that set them up with temporary employment before they left. One friend even said to me "if you can work in a restaurant you can find work anywhere in the world." He found work cooking and doing construction all through South America. Needless to say I found this very encouraging.

I also did not know that chartering with kids is not acceptable. Again, this is why I posed my questions and plans. I need answers to my million questions. I have never been anywhere past the west coast. I have never been privileged enough to travel outside of US.

As far as expense go, I finally found out how much it cost to provision for a small family... Holy crap! Some of the provisioning lists are more than what I spend for months of our food budget.

We have been paying off debts and planning for savings and investments. We are doing that because it is good practice. All of my ideas are just that, ideas. I have not taken any loans, or started a crowd funding campaign.

Disconnect from reality... I live a very real life, with very real problems and very real struggles. I have been supporting myself since I was eleven. I have been supporting other people since I was nineteen. I gave up any real chance of living any kind of dream to support and raise children who were abandoned by their birth mother in preference for drugs. Don't mistake me, I did that without any hesitation because I love them dearly and would give up anything for them. At this time we still have not received any support financially from the state, even though they have been promising it for years. I work constantly. I have full time employment and two side jobs regularly. I also do any kind of side work I can find. Am I not allowed to dream? Should I not try to learn about my dream because it is near impossible? Ignorance is my problem. I am ignorant of all the logistics that my dream would take. The cure for ignorance is education. In order to obtain an education one must ask questions.

Some of you have been very encouraging and seem to understand that I didn't put my family on a dingy in the ocean hoping to find a derelict boat to live on. I appreciate your encouraging words.

I have been on my death bed once already. I had a slim chance of surviving an emergency surgery. As I laid in my bed, all I could think about was that I would die without ever living. All of my memories were of working and slaving away trying to make rent. I always chose work over play so that I could put food on the table. I don't want to meet my death bed again with the same regrets. Truly, I will die happy if my children grow up to be healthy and happy. God I pray that they don't live life defeated just because its too hard.

Am I crazy? Hmm, how should I respond to that? You (person who asked if I'm crazy) seem to think that my children are safe here. Now I'm not saying they are more safe on the Ocean, that is ridiculous. Where we live children are abducted regularly, meth addicts rob us blind, and sex offenders live all around us. Why don't you just move? Well that prospect is damn near as impossible as moving onto a boat. Moving is the reason why we have been building our credit and paying off debts for the last four years. Unfortunately, either way we are a long way off of seeing any real improvement in our lives.

One of the reasons we chose sailing as our dream is the community of kind and wonderful people. I want my children to be kind and helpful, to offer a hand to their neighbor in need, to wave hello to people passing by. Yes, I am teaching them the values of being a loving person and I don't need a boat to do that. It would be nice to be a part of that community some day though. Sailors seem to be so friendly and happy, I would have loved to surround my family with that.

When we first decided to try for our (however unlikely) dream two years seemed like a long time and a possibility. The more we learn we realize that is a rather short goal. I'm not going to give up. Who knows maybe we'll win the lottery. The only thing I have actively done that is specific to our dream about sailing the world is write a blog about wanting to sail the world and asked questions. Everything else we have done are things we would do anyway to improve our living conditions.

In conclusion I will exit myself from this site. I do not appreciate someone thinking I would use money meant for my children to buy a boat, I specifically stated their money would be to ensure they are fed and cared for (provided we ever actually got assistance). That would only happen if everything else in my "plan" worked out as I thought it would. And as you plainly stated that would never happen. I do not appreciate someone saying that I should lose my children because I had a naive dream. I am a great mother who does everything I can to care for my children. There is no crime in wishing for a better life and inquiring into its possibility.

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thank you for the information about work possibilities. I have several friends who traveled (backpacking) and worked along the way in other countries. I had no idea getting employment would be so hard, they made it look and sound easy. They used sites that set them up with temporary employment before they left. One friend even said to me "if you can work in a restaurant you can find work anywhere in the world." He found work cooking and doing construction all through South America. Needless to say I found this very encouraging.
NB: In most places, it'll require a special visa to do that. Mexico, for example, requires a FM-2 or FM-3 instead of the usual FM-T tourist entry.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Courtney, sorry if some of the advice your received here came off as overly negative. It is the internet. But in general it seems to have had the correct result - it made you realize that what you were proposing was just not realistic. I do applaud your efforts to make a better life for the children you are taking care of.

If the sailing life still has an appeal to you, consider my previous recommendation to find a large old sailboat to liveaboard while continuing to work and make money to fix it up. Take some short local cruises to gain experience in sailing and operating a large sailboat. You may decide this is the life style you want ---- or not. Either way you will have learned something and have some direction on how to proceed.

Best wishes.

·
Captain Obvious
2,324 Posts
Courtney

Somewhere between blind happy fantasy and bitter disillusioned rage - somewhere in between - lies the hope of your dreams. And I do believe you have hope. If I came across as harsh, maybe that is because I grew up desperately poor and had to claw and climb out of poverty, while holding onto a fading dream myself and taking care of my wife and kids.

I did it. Mostly by being stubborn, staring down obstacles, endless obstsacles, one by one. Also by being lucky and hardworking. But also realistic. Take a blank sheet of paper. Start over with a plan, For people like us - most of this revolves around billable hours - finding that skill which enables someone to put your hours down on a bill for some rich person, company or government to pay.

Let me tell you how I started, because it is sort of relevant now ; Congress just passed a transportation bill. DOT construction inspectors are needed all over the country. ( P.S. Women get special advantages.They are desperate to hire women.) It doesn't take a masters degree to learn the DOT stuff but once you learn it they start at $30/ hr plus benefits,family medical insurance, 401K and weeks of vacations. Anywhere in the country! Plus its fun, or at least I think it is. Before you know it, there is your money for a boat, and time to sail it.

Its just one idea. Good luck.

Entry level ( You need 30 college credits of something )
https://www.dot.ny.gov/jobs/seas_positions/TCI
Advanced
http://www.indeed.com/q-Highway-Construction-Inspector-l-New-York,-NY-jobs.html

·
Registered
285 Posts
First I would like to point out this is a dream. Do I think.....[EDITED TO SAVE BANDWIDTH].....Goodbye and thanks for all the fish!
Geezuz. First, let be clear here. Your original post and blog entries sold this as a "plan," not a "dream" - big difference.

"I dream of robbing a bank some day..."

"I plan on robbing a bank, and this is my plan to do it"

The latter will get you the type of responses you found here.

Again, dream away. If you allow us, we can help you possibly achieve that dream.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts