SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased our first SV, a Pearson 30, and look forward to taking my family out after the water turns liquid again in the spring. I am wondering how you all went about getting your kids involved? I am not so worried about my 11 y/o he takes an interest in anything I show interest in, and has already expressed excitement about going out. My 14 y/o on the other hand is a typical teenager and blythely responded "is there a place to hook up my Xbox and does it have wireless internet?" He is only allowed to play it on the weekends after chores are done so now he is worried "this boat thing" is gonna detract from his oh so important gaming time. Do you all have an tips or tricks to get teens interested and involved? Thanks

· S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't think for one minute that hasn't crossed my mind a million times, we started off letting him play anytime he wanted as long as chores and school work were done, and that became an obvious mistake. I was in the military at the time, I would get home 7-8 at night and his mom wouldn't have heard or seen him accept for dinner, so I nipped that in the bud. Now he only gets to use it on the weekends after his chores are done. It was a gift from his grandparents in the first place, but the kid gets straight A's in school and gets glowing remarks about his behavior, so I pick my battles because when I was his age I sure as heck wasn't bringing home A's or had the best behavior!

· S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will be cruising the upper great lakes, the boys both love hiking and hitting the tourist traps, I am hoping when he sees that he can kick back, relax, and watch the coast line drift by during a trip to Mackinac Island, or Traverse City that he gets more into it, plus there is a little sibling rivalry. I just about guarantee that if he see's his younger brother helping, handling lines and maybe even taking the tiller he won't be able to resist.

· S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the great reply Shnool, I see definite similarities in our stories. My oldest, the gamer, is in 8th grade, and has worked so hard in school that he is already taking college algebra in advanced courses, and is in his second year of French. He also is teaching himself coding and he beta tests games as part of an invite only crew of gamers. He is well on his way to a career in that field. I am encouraged by the fact that he doesn't have illusions of being "a professional gamer" he wants to design games. He started looking at colleges in 6th grade and insists he wants to go to either MIT or Duke for computer engineering.

I have also tried getting him out hunting and fishing with me, no dice. It doesn't matter what it is outside. There are 3 things that get him outside paintball, airsoft and the ATV's, he will drop the controller in a minute if I say lets grab the airsoft guns. I served 12 yrs in the Marine Corps and until he got the Xbox he would say he was gonna be a Marine too, to which I replied oh heck no you aren't. If we let him he would ride trails all day long in the side by side.

We are planning on sailing this summer from our home in Sault Ste Marie down to Mackinac Island, then through Georgian Bay on the Canadian side. If we have time we want to then head across to Beaver Island and the Manitou Islands in Lake Michigan. I am considering letting him bring the XBox and just trade time, he gets a little game time for a little family time, but he isn't going to have internet so I don't think he realizes yet that he won't be connected to his game crew. I am making him take the ASA 103/104 and 106 classes with me though and I am thinking about both of us taking 105 too, so at least I have one other person on the boat that has the knowledge and ability, god forbid something were to happen while we were on the open lakes.

Reactions: christian.hess
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.