SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
bell ringer
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to admit, we are getting tired of boat living. The past 3 years we seem to have not really gone anywhere, just the same places. Between covid and a broken shoulder half of our time has been mostly living on a boat and not cruising. We really only got into boating to see new places and if we aren't, why put up with boat living? At the moment we are at anchor getting hammered by a thunderstorm for the second day in a row hoping not to blow into the shoal 100' away. And it's HOT in the boat, but cool outside that isn't of use with all the hatches shut. And the lightning just made us jump.

When the suck to fun ratio just gets way out of whack I just have wonder why the hell we are doing this!

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,129 Posts
Rather radical to write on this site. I totally understand. For sure to the "new sailor" getting to and seeing new places is a huge part of the thrill... and being surrounded by lovely scenery... Some people switch to RVing and they can see some wonderful parts of the country. So it is analogous to sailing with few to no weather concerns. Sailing is one of the most satisfying ways to travel... you do it in your own cozy home... you live a life without collecting possessions that you really don't need and because you don't have the space to hoard... a dirt living affliction.
Then of course older you get the more difficult it is to sail. Doable but more difficult.
But the a true bummer is when you lose the thrill of the new and the familiar is doing nothing for you. It's hard to get motivated to raise anchor. Maybe for perfect weather? Maybe to meet a friend of some specific event... Newport Jazz Festival...
I am transitioning out... But it's very hard to let go... as so much of your "life": and identity is invested in the sailing life ... especially when you are retired. Play golf? Watch TV? Write a book?
I hear you Don... I hope you can find your next.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Covid probably stuck a lot of people in a rut. We are. Plans were to be elsewhere 3yrs ago, but we changed boats, which sat us back a year (but not a boring year), then covid stuck us on a dock for a year, then covid kept us more local (Bahamas) and not to where we originally planned. Looks like a repeat for this year.

We felt like we were in ground hog day in the Bahamas last year because we were retreading our old beaten paths. Then we headed out to some further flung areas we hadn't explored before and that was really refreshing - even though we got our butts kicked a couple of times with weather, our outboard crapped the bed, and we got ciguatera poisoning. It was still fun.

There is a point in cruising, and you might be at it, where the novelty is gone and it feels like the same old thing every day. Yes, even when you are anchored in tropical waters with beautiful views having nice snorkeling followed by cocktails and grilled lobster. I think everyone reaches this point, and everyone's response when getting to this point is different - some sell the boat and do something else, some move to winter cruising and summer house, some get a bigger cruising plan and set off for more distant shores, some just ride over that hump and keep going as they were.

Mark

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,129 Posts
There is a point in cruising, and you might be at it, where the novelty is gone and it feels like the same old thing every day. Yes, even when you are anchored in tropical waters with beautiful views having nice snorkeling followed by cocktails and grilled lobster. I think everyone reaches this point, and everyone's response when getting to this point is different - some sell the boat and do something else, some move to winter cruising and summer house, some get a bigger cruising plan and set off for more distant shores, some just ride over that hump and keep going as they were.

Mark
Frankly I became bored with the eastern Caribbean. It's very beautiful and was fabulous to explore. And I got out during the summer to cruise etc in Southern NE... and sail the Canaries on a friend's boat. New places keep your wanderlust batteries charged. I was not motivated to go around the world as many are.... it's even a bucket list item for many. When the more robust internet appeared fabulous travel content came with it... and I am not referring to the sailing YouTubes.
What I did really miss is what a region like NYC metro area provides... concerts, museums, incredible dining.. cultural diversity... Opera, Ballet, Cinema, Theater, Jazz... it's perhaps the cultural capital of the world. You can find it all here.. When I returned I immersed myself in that.. no longer taking it for granted.. as I had glowing up here. I loved sailing and resumed local sailing to all too familiar places. It's expensive and everything desirable is in short supply...whether is concert tickets or a mooring or garage. Real estate in expensive.
My wanderlust has lost it shine... My wife wants visit some Euro capitals.. and maybe road trips. We've become fair weather sailors and that weather is less frequent this millennium so far. Time to transition to an armchair sailor.
But nothing beats a beam reach at hull speed under blue skies

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
There is an obvious dynamic in the sailing press, and indeed forums, where the suck and boredom are under reported. In the first case, reality does not sell boats. In the second case, retired sailors don't post and wanna-bes over-post.

I used to cruise, now I day sail, and I may go back to cruising. It's all about optimizing the fun-to-suck ratio. When it gets out of balance, change something. Take a break. Whatever it takes.

·
cruising all I can
1,062 Posts
It's not for everyone.
I've been at it off and on since the 80's on different vessels and varying crews and destinations.
I've met and seen quite a few enthusiastic newcomers and old salt's swallow the anchor.
On average it lasts 2-4 years for alot of people before they move on.
In life, you only get one first impression.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I cruise for 4 years and lived aboard for another 6…if you accomplished everything you wanted to do you won’t miss it….except on those days when the weather is perfect as you walk along beach. ;-)

·
Registered
25,126 Posts
I get bored with anything, if I can’t keep moving. What’s the alternative? A dirt house would be worse. Talk about the same sights. Some RV. If funancially possible, mixing it up between dirt and boat works for most.

One should never get off the trail, or give up the summit, on a bad day of hiking. At the end of a good day, if it’s no longer desired, it’s time to move on.

Reactions: tempest

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,129 Posts
I cruise for 4 years and lived aboard for another 6…if you accomplished everything you wanted to do you won’t miss it….except on those days when the weather is perfect as you walk along beach. ;-)
I think for some the live aboard and be free to travel to anywhere is somewhat non specific. For many the anywhere implies the entire world... for many the moderate climates... others it's exotic tropical place...for some it's to escape their dirt life and all that it entails.

You dint know what you had till it's gone.

You get what you wanted, but lost what you had.

For many this life means another new beautiful place to experience and notch on your belt. There seem to be so many and the world is so big. But I suppose at some point you get tired of eating lobster... every meal as there isponoy so many ways to prepare it,

If a goal can be defined with specificity it can be attainable... and maybe less stimulating...

Everyone craves new, few crave the familiar.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,129 Posts
I get bored with anything, if I can’t keep moving. What’s the alternative? A dirt house would be worse. Talk about the same sights. Some RV. If funancially possible, mixing it up between dirt and boat works for most.

One should never get off the trail, or give up the summit, on a bad day of hiking. At the end of a good day, if it’s no longer desired, it’s time to move on.
Often it's not simply boedom. It's rather the knowledge that there is more out there to experience. And for cruising it means a new harbor to discover. Getting there becomes less and less the reward... being there less and less... something new and different there is what's left.
You need to be removed from something to appreciate it often... liking pining for sailing in the dead of winter.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts