SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I get bored with anything, if I can’t keep moving. What’s the alternative? A dirt house would be worse. Talk about the same sights. Some RV. If funancially possible, mixing it up between dirt and boat works for most.

One should never get off the trail, or give up the summit, on a bad day of hiking. At the end of a good day, if it’s no longer desired, it’s time to move on.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Why do so many people want someone to house sit? I leave my house for a month at a time and just turn the lock and leave. There is a security camera that alerts my phone and a cleaning lady that comes every other week. I can’t think of why I’d need someone to live there.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I find the thing that makes any boating location and the inevitable boat issues more tolerable is making local friends. We typically do. Often a neighbor in the marina or anchorage, sometimes it's just the familiar face of a bartender who recognizes us and listens to our griping. There are certainly days where I need solitude too. But having a friend nearby to open a beer with makes most challenges easier.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I'm definitely at that place and time where I just want to get the winterization and decommissioning and unpacking over with and walk away for a bit. It's exactly like moving in and out of your house annually. Same thing every year. The frustration lasts almost exactly 4 weeks, while I do some home based activity, then I wish I had the boat back.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I've done a bunch of kayaking in the mangroves on Cat Island. Found a few blue holes to swim in here and there. A fair share of concrete block buildings near the beach, with cold beer, fried conch, grilled lobsters and potato salad. I don't need much more. I'll go back.

I admit to a bit of a creep factor, coming up dilapidated but still operating "resorts" in the out islands. No doubt they were for a bygone era of criminals, just like many of the unattended runways on the out islands.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Having a 50knot squall on the way up likely didn't help, but to me it was just another day at the office, with the main only out, lots of room, and Otto keeping the wind 120 port.
Those are the kind of conditions many get tired of sailing in. I seriously try to avoid them. My wife oddly likes big seas, says they are like a roller coaster. But huge wind, potentially overpowering the boat, creates anxiety. Everything up to 30kts is just another day in the looney bin.

Grandkids seem to be an extreme draw for many. We have three grown children, but no grandchildren and none on the horizon. Good friends of ours have two very young grandkids and, to us, seem remarkably distracted by them. We've been together having cocktails or even dinner and they'll take a video call from their grandkids and stay on with them for a half hour. Maybe I'll feel differently, when we have our own, but I can't see myself spending every day of the week engaged in my kids or their kids lives. My parents were never that engaged in mine, for that matter.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
the silly test of fully vacinated people
COVID is getting old, but vaccinated people are testing positive and able to transmit the disease. Maybe at a lower rate than the unvaccinated, but many of the islands are poorly vaccinated themselves and I can’t really blame them for any measure to reduce the number of transmitters. Sure, it’s already there, but epidemiology is a numbers game.

If frustrated that people are not getting the available vaccine, I fully agree.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
The ability of a virus to perpetuate itself is a numbers game. It’s not solely a question of whether it can cause infection in a given vaccinated individual, it’s a question of how many carriers exist at any point in time.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
In fact, I think we really must get to zero.
Not physically possible in a global pandemic, with this level of transmissibility. Measles still exists for the same reason. Polio was more easily contained, as it didn’t spread via proximity.

By low enough, I mean to the level by which it can’t find enough hosts, in which to incubate and propagate. That’s the epidemic math.

Upsetting that people won’t vaccinate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts