SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
169 Posts
After 13 years of cruising, we have never been bored or run out of new places to see in the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Europe or in America. Everyday is special. With the proper equipment and a comfortable boat, one can go anywhere.

The world outside the East Coast of the US is a wonderful place with many nice people to meet and get to know as close friends, people from all parts of the world. Covid has not slowed us down, we focus on going where we CAN go and spend zero time dwelling on where we CAN’T go.

We’ve both had covid, had our vaccinations, yes we got quite sick, but we’re not dead yet.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Well duh... it's "self evident" that the world is filled with places to see... and quite the variety as well.

BUT...

Have lived / cruised in the Eastern Caribe... I can say that there are more similarities in these Island nations than there are differences. And I am guessing it's the similarities which are the impression of "the East Caribe" one is left with,
New and unique is the draw... But sometimes it means quite a long journey.

Go sail for a few years and find out and then write a book or make some YTs.
We started in Athens yesterday morning before landing here in Istanbul, yes the world is much larger than the ICW, Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean. Sorry, but I’m not interested in writing a travel guide or youtube.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I have to admit, we are getting tired of boat living. The past 3 years we seem to have not really gone anywhere, just the same places. Between covid and a broken shoulder half of our time has been mostly living on a boat and not cruising.….. We really only got into boating to see new places and if we aren't, why put up with boat living?

When the suck to fun ratio just gets way out of whack I just have wonder why the hell we are doing this!
Fyi - if people think i haven't see anything the last 5 years they are greatly wrong!

And those that are edging toward snarky remarks I have advise for you, but Mark would send me a note, so don't go there.
Other than the US East Coast, primarily the ICW and a few weeks in the Bahamas which as Mark pointed out seems to be much like the US East Coast, where have you ventured off to?

Please fill us in.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Yes, my wife and I truly do enjoy every day whilst cruising in much the same manner as Moderator Mark; we experience new places daily on our travels and encourage others to do the same, moving inland and meeting the local people, getting to know them, venturing far beyond the local marina yacht club, dining on local food at front porch restaurants. Summer season 2022, we've already made plans to sail four different counties, Greece, Albania, Croatia and Montenegro, each with very different cultures. Twenty twenty three will be Malta, Greece and Sicily, all in relatively very close proximity, yet each location very unique. Winter/Spring will be the Caribbean.

I'm sorry that other members haven't shared the same experience, however, I don't appreciate the assertions being made towards my integrity, so at this point I think it best to allow the thread originator to sort things out on his own.

·
Banned
169 Posts
We just arrived after an eight day passage in beautiful San Juan, Puerto Rico a few hours ago. No special quarantine requirements, it’s just like going state to state. Weather is excellent and the people very pleasant and nice. Going out for some local cuisine tomorrow and a tour of the historic fort.

It sounds to me like many on this forum need to venture out more often and quit complaining.

Life is short.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts