SailNet Community banner
41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Why do so many people want someone to house sit? I leave my house for a month at a time and just turn the lock and leave. There is a security camera that alerts my phone and a cleaning lady that comes every other week. I can’t think of why I’d need someone to live there.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,781 Posts
Why do so many people want someone to house sit? I leave my house for a month at a time and just turn the lock and leave. There is a security camera that alerts my phone and a cleaning lady that comes every other week. I can’t think of why I’d need someone to live there.
water the house plants?
feed the cat?
water the lawn?

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,205 Posts

You were right on the pets thing. The cost to have the dog or cat in a kennel is above the cost of having a housesitter.

Some of my friends do house sitting and every house theyve had has dogs.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I have to admit, we are getting tired of boat living. The past 3 years we seem to have not really gone anywhere, just the same places. Between covid and a broken shoulder half of our time has been mostly living on a boat and not cruising.….. We really only got into boating to see new places and if we aren't, why put up with boat living?

When the suck to fun ratio just gets way out of whack I just have wonder why the hell we are doing this!
Fyi - if people think i haven't see anything the last 5 years they are greatly wrong!

And those that are edging toward snarky remarks I have advise for you, but Mark would send me a note, so don't go there.
Other than the US East Coast, primarily the ICW and a few weeks in the Bahamas which as Mark pointed out seems to be much like the US East Coast, where have you ventured off to?

Please fill us in.

·
Old soul
5,490 Posts
cool.. Obviously the houses vary... what are they like... and aside from sitting do you have to care for animals and so forth?
It varies widely. We've looked after posh mansions, small bungalows, condos, and farm houses. Most have been in smaller, more rural communities or areas, but that's our preference. Most on offer are in urban areas.

Usually there are animals included; most often cats and/or dogs. But we've also looked after horses, donkeys, and even parrots. Often there are houseplants to care for. Sometimes no pets. It really varies.

Generally the deal is that the sitter looks after the basic upkeep of the house and grounds, and the pets of course. If there are any problems we deal with them, in coordination with the owner. For all this we get to live rent-free (or sometimes paying a portion of the utilities).

·
Old soul
5,490 Posts
The motivations seem to vary. With pets, the need is clear, but we've looked after homes without any. Many home insurance policies now demand that a house cannot be vacant for more than a few days at a time. I think this drives some need. Others just prefer to have their home occupied to manage normal upkeep like lawns in summer and snow in the winter.

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
581 Posts
from Don

".. When the suck to fun ratio just gets way out of whack I just have wonder why the hell we are doing this! "
============================

Google is your friend or not?
----------------
When I start a piece of work with a client, I want to know two things straight away: why are they doing this work, and what do they want to achieve when it's finished. You may be surprised (though I'm not any more) to hear that in most cases no-one actually knows. - Author: Donna Spencer
----------------------

You know, comments about style always seem strange to me - 'why do you work in this style, or in that style' - as if you had a choice in the matter ... What you're doing is trying to stay alive and continue and not die. - Author: Philip Guston
-------------------------

It was very necessary I think 'cause you know, when the band's over, or at least in our heads, for a year it makes you really realize how lucky you are to be doing this and why piss in the well? - Author: Jess Margera
----------------------

don't undestand a single thing about me or Michael or Becky or my brother or anything on this ****ty planet.
--------------------
Life and whatever you do in your time in this world should not be a chore. You will be spending a lot of time doing it anyway. Every moment should be fuelled by your passion. It's your reason. It's your why. - Author: Kevin Abdulrahman
------------------------
I don't understand why people in this country are so bent on doing the 'perfect', when you have something that is good and makes sense from a cost-benefit point of view. - Author: George Voinovich
------------------

Why are you more concerned with where you're going than where you are? Why are you more concerned with what you're going to do than what you're doing? Why aren't you paying attention to how you live your life right this very moment? Why are you wasting this moment? Why are you wasting your life? - Author: Colin Beavan

Why are you doing this to yourself? When something bad happens, why do you have to pick at it until it bleeds all over again? - Author: Jodi Picoult

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
581 Posts
Izzy

Cannot say he did not warn you
You see, we may have different ideas on how to react to his question, and each one has tried on their own way, to be helpful.
Not sure about you.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Yes, my wife and I truly do enjoy every day whilst cruising in much the same manner as Moderator Mark; we experience new places daily on our travels and encourage others to do the same, moving inland and meeting the local people, getting to know them, venturing far beyond the local marina yacht club, dining on local food at front porch restaurants. Summer season 2022, we've already made plans to sail four different counties, Greece, Albania, Croatia and Montenegro, each with very different cultures. Twenty twenty three will be Malta, Greece and Sicily, all in relatively very close proximity, yet each location very unique. Winter/Spring will be the Caribbean.

I'm sorry that other members haven't shared the same experience, however, I don't appreciate the assertions being made towards my integrity, so at this point I think it best to allow the thread originator to sort things out on his own.

·
bell ringer
6,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
If some here think I wanted or expected unknown posters here to "fix" my boating attitude etc.
THEY ARE WRONG!

The thread is, just that because you get into boat cruising it doesn't mean life is all great and that you have to love it soooooo much forever. That's the glossy magnazine world of cruising and I have yet to experience one of those weeks really. I got into this expecting it to be mostly just as it has been. I put up with that in order to do the other parts I got into it for. But if covid and family issues keep getting in the way there isn't much reason to stay living on a boat.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,781 Posts
If some here think I wanted or expected unknown posters here to "fix" my boating attitude etc.

THEY ARE WRONG!
I have only met a handful of Sailnet members. One I count as a very good friend... two others as good friends. I had the pleasure meeting Mark for a lunch... all others are known only from SN.

Who takes advice from anyone about anything these days? :p

But we are members to share and learn... so opinions abound.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
On the internet in general, and on a sailing site in particular, it's not surprising that, life is portrayed in neat categories. Cruising is continually sunny and adventurous. Living on dirt must be driven by fear of adventure and not living a full life, slave to your job. Truth is cruising is sometimes rainy, stormy, when your stuck on board and the anchor is slipping. Truth is some jobs can be fulfilling, important to society, exciting, and adventurous but at other times tedious and aggravating and mind numbing.

I found after a long time on the planet, both on the dirt and the water, that real life both on the dirt on and the water is someplace in-between. Not that I don't enjoy reading the posts here, I've been here for many years, but it's not a contest to see who's lifestyle is the best for everyone for all their lives. It's what's best for you now, and sometimes when we "protest too much" I wonder if we are being truthful with ourselves.

It's a real thing about long term cruising. Every once in a while someone decides to stop. Good on them for going. Good on them for deciding to do something else. It's not uncommon, or right or wrong. YMMV. In fact, everyone's mileage is different. We are generally very lucky people, to find ourselves confronted with a choice of how best to live our lives.

·
Super Moderator
4,028 Posts
What are the proper responses to this thread?
Not sure if there are any. I may be wrong, but Don was just typing out loud. I thought your " Don't give up the summit, for a bad day on the trail" is a good overall factor to consider. Don's been around here long enough to know how these threads go, so he shouldn't be surprised to get a variety of opinions and advice. Even if he wasn't asking for it. It Sounds like the bad days are beginning to outnumber the good ones, so it appears time to make an assessment . Only Don and his wife can determine their path forward. 5 years living on the boat and sailing is a pretty good run imo.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,781 Posts
Perhaps sailor's idea of why they are sailing (goal) changes over time... makes sense. And of course there could be and likely are several goals and different priorities.

Goals... seems part of the human experience to have goal, an objective.. a change from what you have to what you want to have. Maybe most goals need money,,, some don't... they need time and some sort of skill...

So clearly there are multiple goals for sailors to choose from or motivate them to become sailboat owners. They can and do over lap... and the importance of a goal may wax and wane.

Sailing off to "discover" new places is a biggie. World has more than enough to see. When has one seen enough of them? No one eats different foods for every meal in their life... and most people usually eat to live and so the "pleasure of dining" is not of daily importance.

And we know that when you live on a boat... land things become less "doable"... like skiing. Trade offs...

Our nervous systems' senses informs our experience... smell, taste, sight and so on. Our nervous system "habituates" to stimuli that repeat or extend in time, Our focus moves to something new and more interesting... been there done that... this interests me now. Time to weigh anchor.

As varied and complex that sailing can be... there is a lot if repetition... especially the longer you are in "the game", Some love the relaxing and some the exciting... and most both at times.

When trumpets were mellow
And ev'ry gal only had one fellow
No need to remember when
'Cause ev'ry thing old is new again

(Dancin' at) Your Long Island Jazz Age parties
Waiter, bring us more Bacardis
We'll order now what they ordered then
'Cause ev'ry thing old is new again

Get out your white suit, your tap shoes and tails
Let's go backwards when all else(forward) fails
And movie stars you thought were long dead
Now are framed beside your bed

Don't throw the past away
You might need it some rainy day
Dreams can come true again
When ev'ry thing old is new again

Get out your white suit, your tap shoes and tails
Put it in backward when forward fails
But leave Greta Garbo alone
Be a movie star on your own

And don't throw the past away
You might need it some rainy day
Dreams can come true again
When ev'ry thing old is new again

I might fall in love with you again

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,205 Posts
I was reminded of this old blog, where they interviewed cruising couples. Almost all loved it, but gave it up after varying numbers of years. Some ran out of kitty, other wanted something new. Happens. A few kept plugging along.

Just re-read mine... 11 years old... I think I had it spot on then. Trying to maintain that :)
10 Questions for Sea Life ~ The INTERVIEW WITH<p>A CRUISER Project</p> (interviewwithacruiser.blogspot.com)

"For many our brains need more than a boat supplies, perhaps prior to cruising taking course in history, geography, biology or photography would be good. Even keep a study regime and do courses while aboard.
Even now I sail past a bird or dolphin and I don’t know what type it is, where its from, how it breeds…. I’m cruising, but I need to be learning more. "

Hmmm. I think I was right :)

·
bell ringer
6,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Feeling better this morning:
  • got 4 nights of pretty good sleep
  • am getting more used to the heat
  • it is raining out, but it is still morning and the rain is making it cooler
  • weather forecast looks look for doing a nice 170 mile leg using the white floppy things
  • went and saw my 97 year old great aunt yesterday and she seems in good spirits
  • got to go to the movies last night for only second time in 2 years
  • yes there is a beer brewery here in walking distance and it is open today
  • bug bites are mostly healed

but is still living on a boat
  • raining, so not getting solar yet and it has been couple days since batteries fully charged
  • the Honda generator appears to be having an issue and/or there is an electrical issue in the boat I can not understand
  • holding tank getting full
  • there isn't really anywhere to take the trash
  • don't have any hot/warm water and ..... the Honda is acting up

normal boat day, just like in the magazines :)

41 - 60 of 140 Posts