SailNet Community banner
101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
New to cruising
117 Posts
Nantucket is nice, particularly this time of year after the tourist season. But what MarkofSeaLife is describing is a whole 'nother level of clarity and color. The attached sailing pic shows some of the blue, and the nurse sharks in the other pic are on the bottom in 12' of water.

We've sailed around the entire Caribbean Sea and some of the Med, and have never seen water like the Bahamas. The water there more than makes up for the flat, dry, ugly land parts.

Mark

View attachment 140862

View attachment 140864
I’ve sailed by the Bahamas on the Pineapple Cup route from Fort Lauderdale to Montego Bay, Jamaica. It was gorgeous and I look forward to just hanging out there. We had to be very careful because our draft was 17’

·
Old soul
5,567 Posts
I’ve only sailed in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron (racing). Husband did a couple or three Mackinac Races from Chi to the island and to Traverse City. Would love to sail in Lake Superior. Don’t know if it’ll be in my own boat or if it’ll happen in this life. I try to enjoy where I am rather than spend time dreaming of being somewhere else. I guess it’s my age.
If you're based near L. Michigan or Huron then Superior isn't too much further. I highly recommend it for anyone who yearns for big water, clear & clean water, with few others around. Especially along the Canadian shores (east and north) you'll find hundreds of anchorages, with next to no one around.

Crystal blue and clear waters with visibility down over 20 feet, and long sandy beaches, again, with rarely anyone else to be seen.

I still miss it.

·
Old soul
5,567 Posts
OK, I just gotta post some Lake Superior shots. Here's one looking down about 25' at my anchor chain. And here are some others of one of the many long sandy beaches. I rarely had to share any of these places with another boater.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Different thread, really, but...

I'd said that I didn't want to keep up the boat if we weren't going to cruise her.

A week into our cruise this summer, the titanium hawsers reaching in both directions from the admiral's apron came taut.

She's done. I'm in withdrawal. Any suggestion of anything having to do with cruising - friends, places, let alone the boat - is angrily rejected.

I have no idea of where or how I will live.

Damn.

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
581 Posts

Damn.
[/QUOTE]
========================
you will (live)
divorce lawyers, very expensive!!!
Is she done with cruising or with the boat?

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,966 Posts
I think there comes a time when.... the boat is too much work... and not enough time to enjoying sailing and to new places. I suppose in the beginning everything is new and exciting and a challenge.... and over time this can fade.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Damn.
========================
you will (live)
divorce lawyers, very expensive!!!
Is she done with cruising or with the boat?
[/QUOTE]
She's done with cruising, boats, boat people, cruisers, ssca, morning nets, and any conversation, let alone direct contact, with topic or product...

·
Registered
279 Posts
WTF happened? Scared, frustrated, never liked it in the first place?
scared and afraid of aging, but mostly the apron strings, with mom in the area we've moored (for that reason), and one kid/2 grands for the last 5 weeks; 4 others elsewhere in two households ATL metro area...

That's the real issue, I'm pretty sure, but she's for sure done with anything cruising or boats. Having a 50knot squall on the way up likely didn't help, but to me it was just another day at the office, with the main only out, lots of room, and Otto keeping the wind 120 port. But literally shaking while it was happening...

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
581 Posts
========================

She's done with cruising, boats, boat people, cruisers, ssca, morning nets, and any conversation, let alone direct contact, with topic or product...
=================================
ooops!!
time out needed.!!!!
no time for big decisions
time has a funny way to mellow and soften reactions.
Just noticed have repeated time x 4, a message here ?

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Having a 50knot squall on the way up likely didn't help, but to me it was just another day at the office, with the main only out, lots of room, and Otto keeping the wind 120 port.
Those are the kind of conditions many get tired of sailing in. I seriously try to avoid them. My wife oddly likes big seas, says they are like a roller coaster. But huge wind, potentially overpowering the boat, creates anxiety. Everything up to 30kts is just another day in the looney bin.

Grandkids seem to be an extreme draw for many. We have three grown children, but no grandchildren and none on the horizon. Good friends of ours have two very young grandkids and, to us, seem remarkably distracted by them. We've been together having cocktails or even dinner and they'll take a video call from their grandkids and stay on with them for a half hour. Maybe I'll feel differently, when we have our own, but I can't see myself spending every day of the week engaged in my kids or their kids lives. My parents were never that engaged in mine, for that matter.

·
bell ringer
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
My cruising attitude would be much better if the world start admitting that the silly test of fully vacinated people, who even have had the booster, to travel to your country that has had Covid there for over a year, is just silly "make it look good" words.

Your citizens/economy want my money or not?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Grandkids seem to be an extreme draw for many.
This might be the understatement of the week. I don't have any grandchildren (although my son and his wife probably aren't far removed from being parents), but I can tell already that my wife would happily spend several days per week with any grandchild. She's already obsessed with her grandnieces and grandnephew.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
the silly test of fully vacinated people
COVID is getting old, but vaccinated people are testing positive and able to transmit the disease. Maybe at a lower rate than the unvaccinated, but many of the islands are poorly vaccinated themselves and I can’t really blame them for any measure to reduce the number of transmitters. Sure, it’s already there, but epidemiology is a numbers game.

If frustrated that people are not getting the available vaccine, I fully agree.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts