SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
How much sailing have you done on different model boats. If it isn't much, I'd highly recommend you get out on as many different boats as possible. This way you can figure out what you want in the boat you buy without having to pay to learn it.:)

The cost of ownership generally triples with every additional 10' starting at 20' LOA or so. That is in terms of maintenance, slip/storage fees, repairs, etc.

If you're looking used, I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started. :)

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Sailingdog
--I have seen your sticky and it is excellent and I will use it. You suggest I sail on as many boats as possible. How do you do this? I guess I can charter daysails locally, but most of the boats in the fleets are not ones I am too interested in. I could crew for races, but I am committed to crewing twice/week plus 7-9 weekend regattas already. I have no time to practice with a new team.
This is all dependent on how the broker sail goes and my wife's interest. Oh I have only sailed on the J24 (150-200sails), except a one day regatta on a J105 and short day sail on a J80. Next March will end my 2nd year of sailing.
Even just a short day sail will often tell you a lot about a boat. If you're at a yacht club, asking members if you can go out for a daysail with them because you'd like to find out more about their boat will often get you a ride. Your schedule makes it a bit tougher of course, since you'll have to fit in daysails around the racing practice and races themselves.

Dan
---Just the info. I am looking for as to costs. The Pearson 10m looks awesome. It is exactly the type boat I will hope for IF the Mrs. decides to play. IF not, It is one design racing of some sort for me. Would this Pearson be a boat that could do something like the Harvest Moon Regatta (Galveston to Aransas Pass)? How about the race across the gulf to Verra Cruz (the Cape Fear fiasco)? I mean the boat, I know I am not ready. The only equipment I want for now, is depth, GPS with charts when we decide to go somewhere, compass, and cold air for the dock. Probably hot water, as the wife insists I not stink too much. Could do sun showers in the summer, but my wife will like cruising in our colder weather best. As yo can tell, I have boat handling down fairly well, but I know nothing about seamanship.

Stanley
---The Catalina 30 is my fall back position. They look very nice to me and many look to be in very good condition down here. It seems you can sail this boat for a while and sell it for as much or more than your initial purchase price if you take care of it.

I will search, but if anyone wants to answer:
How often do you need bottom paint in Texas waters?
If I buy used, how old do you think the standing rigging may be before replacement?

Thanks, everyone.
Most standing rigging should be replaced at 20-30 years of age. It really does depend on how the boat was maintained and where it was sailed/kept.

As for bottom paint, it depends on the paint. Yes, you'll need it...but how often, is dependent on too many variables to say.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.