SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up two rolls of 13G wire, 50' of white and black to begin rewiring my boat. Most of it is hidden underneath but a few runs will be visible and I was wondering if there is a wrap other then electrical tape so that at least the dbl wires will all look uniform and match. I searched wire wraps but I may not be typing the right thing. Plus it would be nice to conceal the wire nuts. Thoughts or suggestions alway appreciated!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I not sure that two rolls of wire VS some 14/2 is the best way to rewire as the jacket on the 14/2 provides a lot of protection

Whats up with the wire nuts :confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I didnt meant to type nuts ill be using wire crimps, I just feel better about the connection rather the twisting and taping. I guess the few wires that are exsposed wont look bad bundled and taped I just didnt know if anyone had a nice looking solution to visable wires.

·
Larus Marinus
1,756 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would not twist and tape. I use either a "chocolate box" type of screwed connector for wires which are often separated (like those headed up the mast) or crimped connectors with heat shrink over the top.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1st verify that indeed you have tinned wire, many marine stores wont even carry it as it is double the price of regular, the difference to you is having your wiring last 20 years instead of 2.
Wire loom is available at most auto parts stores in varying sizes.
Twisting and taping is the sort of repair one does on the roadside with no tools available, it will be the first place for failure to occur. There is no substitute for soldering and shrinking save maybe those special little 1-shot solderable shrink connectors, but at a buck-a-piece you are better to buy a quality soldering gun and a roll of shrink, also the connectors will require a hot flame to solder/shrink which isn't always ideal around things like wood and fiberglass. Having colour coded wires is also a great idea, 5 years from now, if you have to do a repair, it will be a lot easier to pick out the green wire rather than on of the bundle of 6 same coloured wires that disappear under the floorboards. Also, do not use those little plastic "scotch-lock" connectors, even taped or shrunk they will be a source of trouble in less than 12 months. Good luck.

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Hi all

In Canada wire looms are readily available at Canadian Tire.

(For those of you have never been up here - it is sort of a combination of HarbourFreight, Princess Auto, NAPA and a whole bunch more. Carries tarps, SS fasteners and yes, even boating supplies)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yes, get a book on boat wiring. You don't want to have redo this. Read, plan then buy. Best of luck

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I'd like to re-wire much of my battery system.

any recommendations on books that detail wiring setups for cruising boats.
I'll have a large battery bank, starting battery, engine alternator, 110 volt battery charger, genset with battery, etc. Would like a good detailed description of how to wire everything per latest practices. Not just generalized theory but details.

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
I'd like to re-wire much of my battery system.

any recommendations on books that detail wiring setups for cruising boats.
I'll have a large battery bank, starting battery, engine alternator, 110 volt battery charger, genset with battery, etc. Would like a good detailed description of how to wire everything per latest practices. Not just generalized theory but details.
Xort,
If you don't have it Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual should give you way more information than you need. Reads like a very well written and researched textbook.

Michael

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I have calders book
It doesn't go into specific wiring setups. I'm looking for "the kneebone is connected to the thighbone is connected to the..." Exact wiring diagrams

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hint,
If your rewiring the whole thing run spares.It is easyer to add lights/fans ect if the wiring is allready there.Also quick way to bypass a broken wire.Just run to a spare and find the problem at your leasure.
My Dumbass thoughts:D
Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts