SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I'm in the process of rebedding deck hardware - winter project to keep me thinking of spring. In the process I took out the ceiling panels in the vberth to gain access to the backing plates of the hardware. This exposes some access to the staysail attachment and the two substantial cleats that flank the staysail attachment. There is a cross bar I assume to help spread the load of the staysail attachment. What is curious is that the staysail backing plate does not actually anchor to the cross bar. It appears only to anchor to the fiberglass (see pictures). It would seem more sturdy to me to have the bolts of the staysail attachment further extend to somehow involve a second backing plate that would anchor around the cross bar. (see pictures). Perhaps this is unnecessary and all the engineering is sound - has anyone taken apart their vberth ceiling panels to see if their arrangment is similar?

Thank you, Nate
1987 psc34, Athenry, #89

Attachments

·
Banned
263 Posts
In your photos, there is no indication of any deformation in the deck. If so, the arrangement has worked so far. This boat has been around for three decades. That suggests to me that you have a very robust foredeck able to take the loads, and that you needn't change anything (apart from the bolts, which you might change as a precaution against hidden corrosion).

Just my two cents worth...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Your arrangement looks like mine. Like you, I have two bolts securing the teak "crossbar" to the deck and three bolts that attach the "crossbar" to the anchor locker plywood bulkhead. That total setup bolts the forward bulkhead to the deck. My bulkhead is also tabbed to the deck, to the hull, and to the anchor locker divider. There are two more bolts at the bottom of the bulkhead. Under sail, nothing creaks or moves. It looks pretty bullet proof to me.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.