SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a steel ketch which is 30 years old and is constructed from 5mm plate. However the bilge area in front of the propellor is down too 2mm. Should I walk away from her or look at the costs for repairing. I intend to liveaboard and cross oceans. Is she too old for this now? Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
58 Posts
How is the thickness of the rest of the hull plating? Any rust in the bilges or bulkheads or frames? How big is the boat?
I guess if that is the only area needing repair, then it might be worthwhile to pursue, but chances are there are other problem areas. A 30 year old steel boat may be a bit of a project, have you had a survey done yet?
Brian

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Given that 60% of the hull material has disappeared in that area, I would say that this boat will probably have other serious issues and is very likely going to be very expensive to repair for your intended use. It does not sound like this boat was well maintained, and corrosion never sleeps.

Most steel boats, from what I understand, die from corrosion related issues, often from the inside out. There is no telling what other corrosion issues there are on this boat without doing a very detailed survey, but this issue alone is enough that you should walk away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts