SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my Edson cables 2 years ago, but not my chain mainly due to the sticker shock. I did remove it and carefully examine each link, it looked pretty good. Now I am thinking I should probably add that to my to-do list.
Edson is selling their 2' chain for $142

McMaster-Carr has the same spec chain (minus the plastic tubes and shackles) for $73.88

Both are 5/8" #50 chain. McMaster's is 316 Stainless. I assume Edson's is also 316 but their webpage doesn't say.
I couldn't find a #50 chain specific shackle. The chain pin diameter is .200" and overall width is .83" with the outside links and .67" without. A 3/16" pin is .187" Would it be safe, or appropriate to use an off-the-shelf shackle like the Ronstan 3/16" x 13/16" width shackle?
I am thinking it would be better to buy two chains for the price of one, but the devil is in the details... Could it be more work that its worth?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Grins,
I'll be brave here.From riding bikes.The difference between high priced chains and not so high is the amount of lube you put on them.And if your willing to carry a can of spray lube AND USE IT.

If your system is easy to reach where you can AND WILL give it a squirt.Get the cheaper one.

My Thoughts
mark

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Both of them will have breaking forces bordering on the phenomenal.

Properly lubed, you will never break one, nor wear it out. Gear oil works well.

As travler indicates, it's all about lubing and a bit of TLC.

Keep the old chain too. Leave it in a wee plastic bag with some gear oil sloshing around it. Don't let it rust. Rust will kill it.

Check the toothed sprockets too. Keep them lubed also.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Use a very light oil for the chain. You're mainly looking to protect it from corrosion and keep the bits functioning smoothly. Heavier oils tend to be less effective IMHO, from years of cycling. The bicycle shops will have some very good chain lubricants at prices better than the marine chandleries.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
CHAIN IS CHAIN BUT I can see from the picture they have made a special end link that supports the shackles

It looks like the have to plates over the shackles with a longer than normal 1/2 link pin

·
Registered
387 Posts
I replaced my 30 year old Yacht Specialties (looks like an Edson Knock-off, no longer available) chain last year. Mine turned out to be #40SS roller chain, instead of the larger #50 you have. Edson no longer carried #40, so I went to an industrial shop and bought 10' of stainless chain for the same price as 2' from Edson. As long as it's stainless, you will be fine.

Re: the ends, you can take the chain to a sailing store, and buy the largest clevis pins that fit in the holes of the chain. Then buy the shackles to go with the clevis pins and you now have strong ends, to connect to the wire.

I had a local rigging shop swage new wire to connect to the chain.

After sailing last season, on a large lake, I discovered that the chain had one link broken and one side, and it was still functional - although on it's last legs!!

Edson does not make roller chain - they buy it in the less expensive lengths, and then mark it up incredibly.

I have #40 chain left over, and will sell / ship at cost + shipping, to anyone who wants to replace an aging chain.

I have seen other posts, where others had done the same with the #50 chain, and were selling the extra at cost as well. You may want to search Pearson / Catalina forums, as it was somewhere like that, where I read it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts