SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dutchman
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there that has a Steering Pedestal for a reasonable price. I like to convert from tiller to wheel to make it easier for my crew:D and I like more space in my cockpit. The 3 ft tiller with its swing takes a lot of room when sailing and tacking.

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
See my PM but most wheels take up a lot more room out of the cockpit than a tiller and most newbies learn quicker on tillers. Just say'n...

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
See my PM but most wheels take up a lot more room out of the cockpit than a tiller and most newbies learn quicker on tillers. Just say'n...
Also, tillers are simpler to maintain, less expensive to maintain, and don't add as much weight or complexity to a boat.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Edson steering $$$$$$$$$$$.....

This should get your attention;

1. Edson Classic Series Chain and Wire Steering Pedestal - $854.58
2. Edson 36" Stainless Destroyer Wheel - $626.91
3. Edson Steering Wheel Nuts - $40.92
4. Edson Standard Clutch and Throttle Controls - 329.80
5. Edson Straight Pedestal Guard Kit - $268.38
6. Edson Teak Fold Down Luncheon Table - $499.99
7. Edson 4" idlers - $369.00
8. Edson - 2 1/2" Pedestal Riser - $154.98
Total = $3142.56 + Tax

Getting all of the above (lightly used) at the Dania Marine Flea Market for $400 = Priceless.

You will find a pedestal at a reasonable price but its the price of all the bits that get you.

And no, mine is not for sale.

·
Dutchman
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gtod25, $3K hence my question, does anybody have one?
Some of the items listed aren't needed or can be easily made by me.
I'll check that Dania referral out.
As to you other guys; Yea I know a tiller is easier to maintain, nicer sailing, etc., but that is not what the "bosses" want. Tiller is how the skipper selected the boat contradicting other opinions of other owners. Now that they know what it feels to sail a boat as was intended we can go to the simple life if money permits.
Thanks,

·
One of None
8,045 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
EJO i was at a place in Quincy Mass. this am. called Continental marine and they are in process of stripping out and Irwin 35 it has a complete system on it with about a 30 inch wheel. this is a square style pedestal with engine controls but not sure if it has a compass. i believe it has the engine temp and oil pressure. you can call JON @ 617-719-8232. leave message and he will call you back. it may take a little while or following day. he is the son of the owner of the yard and is usually out and about stripping boats or showing people stuff. Mike p.s. their prices are 50% of new. also this is a complete unit still fully attached and appears to work fine.

·
Dutchman
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

thank you all for the references and info. I think we are going to wait until next year so I'll wait until then to dive into pricing this job.
Again thank you all for your replies.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pedestal Wheel Guard

I have a system for sale that came off of my Catalina 25. $500

Its removed because my husband is new to sailing and we want him to learn using a tiller.

Let me know if you would like to see pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The steering system includes Yacht Systems pedestal and wheel with place for compass and accessory (depth finder, etc.), Edson guard, and rods/cable/hardware.

·
Dutchman
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok send me a PM with picks and $ and where did it come off from?

·
Dutchman
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MegaYachtTech
Yes I'm still looking if the price is right to the Admiral:D
Send me a PM with price and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have both a tiller and wheel in my 1972 Coronado, 27 ft, can I remove the wheel and only use the tiller with out it causing any problem with the wheel controles, and help the smooth sailing of the boat. It came with both and I am a tiller man, please help, thanks

·
Dutchman
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
can I remove the wheel and only use the tiller with out it causing any problem with the wheel controls, It came with both and I am a tiller man, please help, thanks
If you can use both I don't see why you could not remove the wheel, cable, and sprockets/sheaves, to make her a 100% tiller boat. Might not be easy as you might have to drop the rudder to do so. I'm not familiar with your type boat to give you detailed instructions, but it should be possible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts