SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a stereo in my boat and I was wondering what to do about an antenna. The stereo is a typical power boat/car type stereo where you are supposed to use an adaptor to wire it directly into the existing wiring. I plan on wiring it directly to my 12v house battery. Red/Yellow wire positive, black negetive etc.

My question is since I dont have an existing antenna to connect to what kind of antenna fabrication should I come up with?

·
Registered
980 Posts
wire antenna

I am going to install a stereo in my boat and I was wondering what to do about an antenna. The stereo is a typical power boat/car type stereo where you are supposed to use an adaptor to wire it directly into the existing wiring. I plan on wiring it directly to my 12v house battery. Red/Yellow wire positive, black negetive etc.

My question is since I dont have an existing antenna to connect to what kind of antenna fabrication should I come up with?
I got one at west marine for about $10 that is just a cable and you can feed it up under the headliner. Very Convenient

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Yeah, what Dave did. Or you can get a wire coathanger, unfold it to about 36" long, and plug that into the center contact of the antenna socket if the back of the radio is someplace conveniently out of sight and touch.

Any generic car antenna, even one from a junkyard, should do you. Unless you're planning to listen to a lot of music from "far away", antenna height and placement won't be critical.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The radio is going to hidden back in a quarter berth so looks arent that big of a deal. I may try the coat hanger first but it if any auto antenna works this should be a lot easier than I originall thought.

·
19,484 Posts
I took a piece of antenna extension cable (so I had a good fit at the antenna socket of the stereo) and stripped the other end and connected it to my shroud tie rod - we're using the entire rig as an antenna!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Or for excellent reception get one of these if you have a masthead vhf antenna:
I have this vhf/am/fm splitter onboard. after 1 year if using it, but decide to change to car setero antenna ($5). Car setreo antenna gives better reception/quality signals than the vhf antenna via the $90 splitter.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Or for excellent reception get one of these if you have a masthead vhf antenna:
Not if you value the performance of your VHF radio.

Insertion loss for just UHF connectors alone (that's the kind of connector on your marine radio) is around 0.2 db at marine radio frequencies. Now add whatever else is involved in that thing. Shakespeare claims only 0.5 db insertion loss. I'm thinking that seems highly optimistic.

Jim

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Also, if it fails, you could fry either the VHF or the stereo.. :)

Not if you value the performance of your VHF radio.

Insertion loss for just UHF connectors alone (that's the kind of connector on your marine radio) is around 0.2 db at marine radio frequencies. Now add whatever else is involved in that thing. Shakespeare claims only 0.5 db insertion loss. I'm thinking that seems highly optimistic.

Jim

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
FM stereos aren't real picky. If you want to explore, buy an alligator clip connector at Radio Shack ($5 pack of 10?) and jam one end into the radio's antenna plug, then try clipping the other end to pretty much any metal in sight. Rigging, coat hangar...or go online, you can make a decent FM antenna from a buck's worth of scrap wire in many ways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.