SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intro: US Yacht 25. This year new battery box, complete rewire and new electrical panel wired per MainSail et.al.

Now to the fun stuff. I have a stereo, with wood cabinet. Proper electrical buss bars for all stereo and electrical connections.

My question: I have everything routed through the Master on/off switch. I'm wondering if the receiver will lose memory (radio stations) when the boat is switched off. This is an automotive 12v stereo. It has three + wires;

ATT (Light blue wire)
ACC (red wire)
Battery (yellow wire).

What does the general boating population do regarding stereos?

thanks,
Chris
Kennewick, Wa.

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
Intro: US Yacht 25. This year new battery box, complete rewire and new electrical panel wired per MainSail et.al.

Now to the fun stuff. I have a stereo, with wood cabinet. Proper electrical buss bars for all stereo and electrical connections.

My question: I have everything routed through the Master on/off switch. I'm wondering if the receiver will lose memory (radio stations) when the boat is switched off. This is an automotive 12v stereo. It has three + wires;

ATT (Light blue wire)
ACC (red wire)
Battery (yellow wire).

What does the general boating population do regarding stereos?

thanks,
Chris
Kennewick, Wa.
i have an old am/fm /sw radio on d cell batteries all i need for music ... if all else fails sing or whistle

·
Freedom isn't free
3,284 Posts
Yellow direct to battery (use a fuse), that will save your memory...

Nothing wrong with wanting some music on your boat. I was in the other camp for many years (not wanting music of any kind, wanting the "pure" sailing experience)... Thankfully I've had the opportunity to sail frequently in recent years (enough that I can no longer count the number of times I go)... Having some music sometimes is just the ticket to make the sail perfect. This especially while out on the lake alone, nobody to talk to, and nobody else to disturb.

I frequently use the radio as "background noise" when I am doing a weekday sail.

That being said I too am planning on installing a stereo, but am hopefully NOT rewiring the boat this winter. I am putting in electronics so who knows.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Chris-
Either you drain the battery, let the memory get wiped, buy a marine stereo, or do something else to handle the problem.
You could add in an "alarm" battery to supply backup power to the yellow lead. Or measure it, if the drain is 5-10mA that won't bother your battery for a couple of weeks at a time.
A few marine radios use non-volatile memory to avoid that problem. Older car stereos with push buttons don't have that problem. And of course if you don't listen to preset stations, it just doesn't matter.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,284 Posts
You know I had a simple deep cycle battery, with a 3.5hp motor... I had a 14x14" solar panel hooked directly to a cigarette lighter outlet.. WE don't have power, I don't have an alternator...

My radio never killed my battery by having my $35 marine stereo (that took USB or SD cards), it was 40 watts, super short depth, with a remote. I think I got it at buy.com. I got about 12 stations after I connected to the masthead antenna. In retrospect I'd have done better with a regular fm radio antenna.... However, I got one of the XM roady receivers and piped it into the aux port on the radio... Crystal clear tunes, no issues.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
The small power to maintain the radio's memory uses an infinitesimal small amount of power. It will take a long, long time to drain your battery. So don't do it if you never use your boat. Just saying.

Tod

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
The small power to maintain the radio's memory uses an infinitesimal small amount of power. It will take a long, long time to drain your battery. So don't do it if you never use your boat. Just saying.

Tod
Our Kenwood draws 0.002A..... It would take three full weeks to use just 1 Ah... On a 400Ah bank this is three weeks to use 0.25% of the banks capacity....

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
If you find an older "benzi box" style pullout in-dash, they have a battery built into the unit that will maintain memory almost indefinitely. But most if not all of them woudl not have any remote, though most of the better ones have auxiliary inputs for mp3 players. Or you could go with an old school in-dash with a dial and manual push button presets, that might fit in really well with a retro theme, that way you don't have to recover those brown plaid cushions. You can just say it is part of the 70's look. Heck you could even look for an old 8 track player, now that would be awesome! But I agree that the constant on power line will draw very little power. Just make sure you disconnect it before winter (simply remove fuse). And make sure it is via a fused connection.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I simply let mine lose its presets. Luckily I only listen to NPR anyway, and that's on 88.5 mhz. The radio defaults to 87.5 mhz, so I just press the scan up button once, and it's tuned back in!

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
I simply let mine lose its presets. Luckily I only listen to NPR anyway, and that's on 88.5 mhz. The radio defaults to 87.5 mhz, so I just press the scan up button once, and it's tuned back in!
The problem is that with many newer stereos it is not just the station pre-sets. Many lose the initial set up which may include AUX input on or off, iPod settings, Blue Tooth settings, EQ settings, crossover points, sub settings, balance settings, speaker location settings etc. etc...

It really is ridiculous today that stereo makers still use volatile memory but I hear that is slowly changing... If you actually use your boat stereo memory is a non-issue...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
im about to do an install on my merit 25

anybody have any combo ideas for a small install

I have a bestbuy card so any do it all combos, speakers, player and wiring that could be bought there would be awesome help for me

sorry for the hijack

lastly and this is because I WAS in the no tunes camp forever

what are you guys doing to weatherize speakers and or are you just installing in the cabin?

thanks

christian

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Yellow is memory
Red is main power...
The gauge of the wire is usually visibly different too... lighter gauge is for the memory backup.
The general convention in the industry is that yellow is both memory and deck power to drive the amp. Yellow is your current carrying wire when the stereo is pumping volume and switched on via the red wire.. This is the wire you want the least voltage drop on. Red is the 12V switched power. It has minimal loads on it...

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
im about to do an install on my merit 25

anybody have any combo ideas for a small install

I have a bestbuy card so any do it all combos, speakers, player and wiring that could be bought there would be awesome help for me

sorry for the hijack

lastly and this is because I WAS in the no tunes camp forever

what are you guys doing to weatherize speakers and or are you just installing in the cabin?

thanks

christian
i would prefer if you installed in the cabin in case we ever share an anchorage
that being said
i saw a boat that had the lowest dropboard with speakers on a plug
have a solid board as well mind you

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Come on Christian.... get ya stereo setup like this guys boat! :eek:

:D
YOU GUYS DO UNDERSTAND IM IN THE SOUTH NOW RIGHT?

EL SALVADOR seems mild in comparison with the big and loud stereos types out there

I need to fit in , even if it means banging some tunes

ajajajaja

ps. my friends boat came with outdoor speakers, and 2 HUGE boxes inside the cabin that took up most of the dinette area

and this on a mac 25

wtf!

ajajajaja:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.