SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any models of car stereos that don't lose their station presets when you cut the battery connection? I was looking at one of the Kenwoods, but it seems it requires the constant juice (KDC-X493). Or failing finding one with the stations stored in non-volatile memory, can anyone give me the actual power draw while "off" for some specific models?

Thanks.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Arf, I'm pretty sure that ALL electronic stereos use a separate "keep alive" wire for the memory functions, since 1980-ish.

The good news is that they use about 5mA for this function, that's 0.005 amps per hour, which is not a whole lot.

If that's still too much for you...I do have a mid-70's vintage radio salted away, AM/ FM stereo/ cassette with five pushbuttons, that you set the five stations with the old fashioned mechanical way. When it turns off--it really is OFF. No, I have no further specs on it, don't even remember the brand offhand, it is in a box on a shelf, got sidelined by a ghettoblaster a long time ago.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Always the yellow wire...

You won't have much luck there actually.. unless you rig a battery between yellow wire is usually synonymous with memory .. can be done Radio shack sells the stuff to make it happen..

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The memory draw on most new radios is really minimal. If you're really worried about the draw from it, you could always add a small maintenance type solar panel to compensate for it. Even a tiny 5 Watt panel would do the trick. Battery self-discharge, at least in warmer weather is probably higher than the draw for the memory on most stereos.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've always wondered why they just don't put a small Li battery inside them. It would then charge when the vehicle is running and maintain the memory when off.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
LiOn batteries are expensive and they don't just "charge". They explode rather violently unless you have a fairly sophisticated charge control computer attached to them, and a temperature sensor.

Car stereos are cut-throat price competitors, so why bump your selling price up by $25 or more, when there's already a whopping huge storage battery in the car? And the memory drain is negligible, it is normal and expected for the intended use. Cars.

(The ansewr to so many things is "money".)

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
We have this old car stereo in ours with the old push button pre-sets!!

Not that I use it...

I usually just listen to ball games on the ol' portable transistor!!

·
Senior Mumble
320 Posts
I understand there are stereos that have memory without the yellow wire. Mine isn't one of those, though, so I put a switch in the yellow line so that I could disconnect it during winter storage (I leave the batteries aboard). During the season, with the boat being used primarily on weekends, the affect the draw had on the batteries was negligible.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, thanks for the quick responses, all. I'm fine with 5 or 7mA. I was afraid it would be much more. No worries then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts