SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys..I need your help again, because you guys know all these things, please.

I need help in locating GOOD radar post manufacturers in the US (or elsewhere). I will be in the US in January and can aquire one there to bring home. I am looking for more options, as right now my boat's builder is also quoting me one, in CF, as originally planned. (either way, it will be him installing it, and our electrical engineer at the marina conecting it).

The dome is a Raymarine, and my idea would be to have a hinged one, or other similar system that would allow me to remove it.

But..I assume with a hinged one, it will need those bars or legs, at 60deg, to reinforce support, which means more holes on my boat...:eek:

The other option is another type of post, not hinged, but without the need for extra supports.

When my boat was built, stiffners for the radar pole were installed at several locations at the stern, so she is ready to reveive it. I can attach it to the vertical stern panel..or on the small horizontal step I have at the stern.

I am open to ideas, but generally my needs are:

1st option
Carbon Fiber or alluminium (or any other lightweight solution)
Hinged for removal
Removable
no extra supports
tall and simple
gimballed support for the dome

2nd option
Stainless or Alluminium
not hinged
tall and simple
gimballed support for the dome

I thank you already for you input on this...please.

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
6 Posts
radar post

Dave Johnson at www(dot)newjsi(dot)com built a dual purpose radar/wind generator post for me in quick time and for a reasonable price. I wanted heavy walled stainless, but they build in aluminum as well.

djohnson(at)newjsi.com

get a quote from him.

George DuBose
S/V Skylark

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
I second Capt Dave with the Garhauer mount. I am installing one this year abd they are very customer service oriented plus the product is excellent. Will allow me to place all my antennae, (gps and vhf in one area and also has a detachable arm which can be used as a motor hoist for the dingy.

I bought their davits last year and everyone in my sailing group has decided that they will go with htme from now on if they ever replace theirs.

Dave

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If you can afford it, go with the carbon fiber. It will probably be the lightest of the solutions. However, it would probably be the most difficult to make hinged or removable IMHO, and would probably be best as a fixed mount.

Garhauer is a good choice if you're going with stainless steel.

I wouldn't go with aluminum for a few reasons. First, the pole would have to be much larger than a stainless steel one of the same strength, wiping out much of the weight savings due to the material.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
G- I've got two words that will solve ALL of your problems....MIZZEN MAST. Adding a mizzen would provide a perfect attachment point for your new radar as well as do a nice job of sprucing up your boat and making it look more like a real sailboat.;)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Giu,

If it's not unaffordable, I think your sleek boat deserves a nice carbon fiber unit. As you know, besides the weight and strength, one of the beauties of carbon is it can be sculpted almost anyway you need it to be -- whereas aluminum and stainless can only bend so much. Somehow, I see the metal poles looking a bit clunky on Giulietta.

Or, you could get a nice huge ARCH like Cruising Dad's!! Think of the barbecuing possibilities!:D :D :D

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
What's wrong with mounting it on that over-engineered mast of yours? (g) It'll work better and, I dare say, it'll look better too!

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
some solutions are starting to show up sent by some friends here by PM..

Please keep them coming, ok?

right now I have decided it has to be:

1)at least 14 feet long
2) Carbon or alluminium ( I was directed to a company that makes wound fiber epoxy tubes) sorry no steel..
3) Gimballed radome
4) extra arm for GPS
5) Swivel base mounted on horizontal step
6) Bracktes attached to push pit

please send more links

Thanks

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK..one more question, please.

If I was to get the pole myself, (made elsewhere), and just wanted to buy the gymbal and the pole base hinge, does any one know companies that sell just the gymbal and the base hinge?

Then I would get a pole made for those.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Well if you do put up a Radar pole, insure that it is strong enough to handle a Lateen or lug sail from it for additional sail area. You may need a bobkin to lead the tack sheet to also.
Now with the above rigged you can now lenghten your bowsprit and fly another jib from it also.
Wow I think you have increased your sail area by about a third.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Alex:

PYI is located on the way to my boat from work. If you want me to look at something "live", or assist in any way, I stand ready to help.

(This also goes for any other Sailnetters)

David

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
David, YES PLEASE!!!!I would appreciate your help.

If you can go there, look at the pole top gymbal (where the radome attaches), and the pole swivel hinge (at the base of the pole) parts they make, I believe in aluminium, and see if you can find out for what internal diameter pole they are made for..this in case I decide to get the pole elsewhere..I need to spec it out. Their pole is aluminium, and I may use their accessories with a custom CF pole

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sure.. PM sent.

David

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Oh... and by the way.. in the airplane business, we never put carbon in direct contact with aluminum. An electrochemical reaction occurs and corrodes the aluminum.

I don't know how big of a problem this would be in your application, but it's a definite no-no for airplanes.

David

1 - 20 of 40 Posts