SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Tartan 34C
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a Sailtime membership with a new Hunter with drop down swim platform. I have previously docked an H33 and H36 stern to with the small drop seat, but I was wondering how that works with a full drop down platform?

An occasional little bump with a well fendered stern was okay on the previous mentioned models, (then you could step off and secure), but I can't see that being a good idea with a full platform. Would it not put a lot of stress on the hinges/hardware?

·
19,485 Posts
I'd be tempted to initially dock without the platform dropped, secure yourself and then pull ahead and make room for the platform.. similarly stow it prior to getting ready to depart.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Hang a fender at the transom, either vertically or horizontally.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
The charter company I work for has a Hunter E36 with the drop down swim platform. All of our boats are parked stern to. The platform is always up at the dock. We step from the top of the platform (closed or up) on to and off the dock, it works fine. I could see with a very low floating dock that could be more challenging. I still would not want to trust the swim platform mounting hardware to the forces it might encounter if bumped in the down/deployed position! Then again I'm much better at driving boats then I am at doing fiberglass repair.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts