1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Leap! The net will appear
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes. Installed on my catalina 27. They are now the prime seat everyone fights for when we are underway. They were installed in just minutes. Definitly recommend getting the rail cover also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a support that goes from the seat to the cockpit seat? Does the stern rail need to be pretty sturdy to sit on the seat?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It attaches to the rail and has one post that rests on the lazaret. Most rails should have no problem supporting the seat. The whole seat wil fold up so you can get into the storage if necesary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They attach to the rails with two clamps that have wingnuts. They can be removed in just a few minutes.

·
Salty
106 Posts
There is only one caveat, your stern pulpit must have a lower/second rail. I have found there is a kit (although I cant remember the manufacturer) to use as a substitute which bolts on between stanchions. As I recall this kit does not look to be as clean of an install.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good Olde Boats ran an article a couple of months ago on how to make the seats. Not a major project and much lower cost than commercial.

·
NON member
544 Posts
We had the factory installed optional stern rails seats on our 2001 HUNTER h260 and they were great!
My Wife really misses them on our current boat (no rails).
Paul

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
I replied to this over on Anything Sailing, same answer, wouldn't put them on my boat. The stern corners are my favorite place to sit while sailing so I can see the telltales on the headsail, these seats would eliminate that space. Of course, I don't have a modern big assed boat, it's an offshore boat with a fairly small cockpit. I would also worry about someone sitting up that high while heeled over, or in rough conditions. They would be great at anchor though.

·
Senior Mumble
320 Posts
The manufacturer of the Sterperch is Zarcos (Zarcor: Boat seats, boat curtains, iBoatingCalendar. sternperch, peek a booo shutters, Hot Blade, Drink holders, Electronic Holders, Window shades, curtains, shutters, shades, portlight shades). We have them. We do not have the lower rail in our stern pulpit (pushpit?), so we had to use the kit that basically installs a straight cross piece to which the seat is mounted. There is a pole that goes down to the cockpit seat or deck, depending on the setup on your boat. My only criticism is that if one sits too far forward, the seat can pivot. I've thought about securing the vertical pole to the boat to prevent that.

We love 'em. They're not a problem when heeled. I can perch, steer (it's a reach, but doable) and peer over the bimini at the windex and tell tales. Works for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can sit in the seat and steer my boat with my foot and a line attached to the tiller (Light winds when things happen slowly or under power ) On my boat it actually makes more room in the cockpit for us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
stern rail seats

Our Catalina 36 came with them. They are a must have on any boat. Great place to sit and if you have any guests that are prone to getting sea sick, these seat prevent it. It keep them up high with lots of wind on the face and view on the horizon.

Greg

Dragonfly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts