SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... no I'm not talking about Smack's visit to NY.

I have a traveller that sticks in the same position it's in. I had to run the line back to one of the big winches to get it to move-- and that was with a loose mainsheet.

What should I put on it to help it slide freely, even when the mainsheet is tight?

Regards

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
When was the last time you removed the traveller car and did basic maintenance on it??? Might be a good time to start. Forcing stuff using a winch is generally a bad idea.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is late in coming and what responses you did get weren't of much use. You didn't mention what type of traveller it is. McLube, though a good product, it is not recommended you use it on Harken ball bearing cars. Because of the load patterns on the bearings, it can actually cause the bearings to slip (not spin) and not work as designed, you should just make sure to keep it clean. Also if you have a large purchase in your system with a marginally oversized double braid line it can create problems. The core of the line twists within the jacket and causes it to bind as it rounds the sheeves. I have a Harken 6 to 1 system with 3/8 StaSet tag lines and it binds all the time creating a problem like you describe. Apparently the solution is to go to a smaller line or one of the same diameter only single braid, like Bzzz or Salsa.

SoC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts