SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tiller action on my Pearson 26 is suddenly very stiff. I'm not sure what would cause this. I replaced the upper and lower Delrin bushings about 3 years ago when I installed the new rudder, which has a stainless steel post. It's been fine until now. Any ideas what would cause this? Thanks

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
In the fresh water around here there is more long and fine leaf grass and weeds that like to tangle themselves in the rudder then what I find in the fresh water around here. That would also be my first guess.

·
19,485 Posts
In clear water a mechanic's mirror on a stick does a pretty good job for checking prop/zincs/rudder issues..

Wheel or tiller?? If wheel look into the lazarette or wherever the quadrant is located.. soemthing fallen into the mechanism??

Also possible might be some debris between top of rudder and counter partially 'jamming' the rudder against the hull??

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
My friend bought an old boat that had a rudder so stiff that you could barely turn it. A marina poured copious quantities of 2-3 different lubricants down the rudder shaft and it finally loosened up. We never discovered what caused it. Probably some growth or dirt somewhere. I suspect the boat hadn't been used for a long time, and, after my friend started using it, it loosened up.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
growth, kelp, barnacles, paint buildup, bad bushings...crap, poo, crabs, dead mussels andything can stiffen up a rudder

if ITS SUDDEN

you can rule out bushings but not bent rudder

if it was gradual all of the above related to growth...

a quick dive to check is the first thing to do...

·
19,485 Posts
Are you certain the 'new' bushings are Delrin? Is the lower one always submerged? Many plastics absorb water and can 'swell', if the lower bushing is constantly wet and this has occurred since replacement, in the absence of any other causes I'd be looking at that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts