SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have been watching eBay and all other used gear places that I can find. I am still looking for a Nexus (Comnav) wind masthead unit. In just about any condition. If it is working - I'll swap it in, if not, I'll use it for parts and try and fix mine.

Many thanks.

I had someone send me a link to a guy selling a whole, complete set of Nexus used instruments for $100.00. As you can guess - I called right away and they were sold.

Rik

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I feel your pain! I have been looking for some used Nexus transducers and displays as well. No joy at all. If it helps at all, the best pricing i have seen on new is at Chicago Marine:

Chicago Marine Electronics

I am still hunting. If you run across some stuff you don't need, please let me know! if I find what you are looking for in my search, I'll send you a note as well.

Good luck!

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
They must be available somewhere cause my boatyard replaced mine last Fall after breaking it. They said they had found a source for new ones but also found a "used" one that I agreed they could use to replace mine with. They said the used one was still very expensive. Fortunately they replaced it free for me.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Actually last night I saw that Sailnet sells them as well. Their prices are the lowest on some items and close to the lowest on others.

Not that this stuff is cheap at all. New, we're looking at about $550 for the lower end wind transducer (wired) and nearly $900 for the cf tall one (again, wired). The wireless ones are even more. The HPC Compass transducer is nearly $700...

Each display is in the $530 to $590 range. The new large Multi XL display is about $850.

So that said, the challenge is really to decide what info I want, and see if I can find acceptable ways to get it with fewer displays, or at least see how I can spread the cost over a few seasons.

There is one display that is particulary interesting, the digital wind data display. On the left side it displays info you select in numbers, on the right it renders an analog representation of the boat and draws in some markers to indicate a few things, like apparent wind, true wind and even a marker to indicate relative changes in boat speed since last reset. So its like the trim speed indicator.

I think I might just put a few extra tell tales all over ;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
nexus wind instrument

I have a Nexus Wind Data set of masthead transducer, cable, display which I woud sell. Haven't thought about price yet. It's a late 90's vintage, not much used since previous owner of my boat installed it on a rotating mast!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have a Nexus Wind Data set of masthead transducer, cable, display which I woud sell. Haven't thought about price yet. It's a late 90's vintage, not much used since previous owner of my boat installed it on a rotating mast!
Nexus sells a transducer that measures the rotation of the mast so the instruments can compensate.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey - I found a complete "non-working" masthead unit that I picked up on eBay for $36.00

Now - I should have enough parts to make one working set.

:)

Rik

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was just the mast head unit - nothing else at all. Sorry.

Rik

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nexus

I think you'll find Nexus has been brought by a New Zealand Company called Kiwi Yachting which Dean barker has just brought into.

try them.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think you'll find Nexus has been brought by a New Zealand Company called Kiwi Yachting which Dean barker has just brought into.

try them.
Interesting, thanks. I thought Nexus was recently bought by ComNav? Did Kiwi buy ComNav or Nexus? I know ComNav seems to be handling quite a lot. For example, they told me they are in the process of rewriting the manuals. Also, I know there are now several new US dealers for Nexus.

So I hope all this expansion is not stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drop me a note if you still have this.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Further to Nexus service, I talked to Dick Booth in Florida today who services the line, rebuilds what can be rebuilt and recommends replacements. He also noted that the entire line is backwardly compatible so the newest items will work with the older Wind Data displays and server that I have. Ergo, at a price, you can have things repaired or replace with the newer items when the repair price gets too high, or if circuit boards aren't available. Nice that we're not orphaned, and thanks to Practical Sailor who sent me his contact info which I'll supply on request. (But this forum is SO restrictive on e-mail addresses and direct messages...not like the Leica forums....)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts