SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking . . . how ''''bout Petersen 44?

O.K., there''s a ''79 Petersen 44 for $90''s and a ''76 for around $115K or so. Looks acceptable except for the teak decks; were these built in Taiwan? By who? I''ve become accustomed to looking for iron tanks, leaky decks, ****ty bowsprits, hidden defects, etc., but thse 44''s appear reasonably fast, manageable, solid, and, above all, acceptable to the reluctant spouse as far as space goes for liveaboard here in the Carib. I like the skeg hung rudder & modified fin keel (I believe). I''ll go look closer at the one in Tortola, but the newer one, which appears to have bronze instead of plastic ports, is in Antigua. It''s also the less expensive of the two. I anticipate a rerig and chainplates if nothing else.....please fill me in on these boats...KW

·
Administrator
9,161 Posts

I have always thought that these were really neat boats. They seem to be be well rounded and nicely detailed designs. If I ever went the heavier cruiser route the Peterson 44 would be where I would start.

They were built in Taiwan. Some had teak decks but some apparently did not. There is no way that I would buy a 20 year old boat with teak decks. It is not if they will leak and damage the core but when. Teak decks would be an automatic deal buster for me.

Jeff

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Jeff. I''ve been driving myself berserk for over a year on this cruiser thing. I hate paying rent. I''d like to find something with an aft cabin arrangement that will satisfy the Admiral and allow some weekend daychartering - making the boat and associated toys- deductible - or at least a portion thereof. Please see the Morgan/Gulfstar questions.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts