SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Abe took his wife down to his marina in Portland the other day, only to find that his beloved yacht was gone! It was a Catalina 36'. He has called the police, and been looking for it around Portland, but is having no luck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Theft sucks. I would guess it is somewhere in the south by now. Eg. boats that are stolen along the eastern seaboard tend to end up in the Keys, or Cuba. For sure, it is long gone from local waters. Only other option would be that it is hidden and being repainted and markings/reg. altered.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I assumed you meant Portland OR? Or is it Portland ME?

Regardless, I would suggest he/you get as much info uploaded here and elsewhere about the boat -- name, photos, locations, identifying details, etc. We've seen several boats recovered over the years after the info was widely disseminated and thousands of alert sailors kept their eyes open.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Sailboat thefts tend to be less successful and more uncommon than powerboat thefts from what I"ve seen... it is tougher to hide a boat with a big stick in the air and that only goes 7 knots. :D

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,472 Posts
I hope he had insurance on it! One can't wonder how "fast" they can get away on a sailboat! Possibly they took it for the expensive parts and will dump it when they are done?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts