SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to relocate the existing stop cable off of the plywood hatch and a bit further forward, but can't for the life of me work out how to get the black 'T'-handle off without breaking it.

How are these things fitted? Is there a trick to taking one apart?

Thanks,
Cameron

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Pretty sure its threaded onto a fitting on the end of the cable. Try soaking it in PB Blaster or something similar for several days. Vicegrips on the cable fitting and a wrench on the handle "should" break it free. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This looks like a Teleflex cable so there should be a small locknut behind the T handle. Use a 5/16" wrench and undo this locknut and then the handle should unscrew with ease.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This looks like a Teleflex cable so there should be a small locknut behind the T handle. Use a 5/16" wrench and undo this locknut and then the handle should unscrew with ease.
It makes sense that it'd be a threaded fitting and there is indeed a locknut which is easily undone, but when I go to 'unscrew' the handle I'm only twisting the internal cable.

So it should just unscrew?? I can't see any set screws or any other tricks.. that's why I'm asking. I was worried that it might have some fancy molded end and the last thing I want to do is break the handle. I'll try some WD-40 and have another go..

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
It makes sense that it'd be a threaded fitting and there is indeed a locknut which is easily undone, but when I go to 'unscrew' the handle I'm only twisting the internal cable.
As I suggested in my first post, try holding the cable with Vicegrips. That should allow you to apply enough torque to the handle to unscrew it.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I suggested in my first post, try holding the cable with Vicegrips. That should allow you to apply enough torque to the handle to unscrew it.
After buying a pair of vice-grips (the one tool I didn't have but knew I would need eventually) I finally got around to having another crack at this.. seems it just needed that extra bit of encouragement:

All good. Job done. Thanks for your patience. :)

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
:eek:You didn't have Vice-Grips?:eek:

Next, you'll tell us that you don't have Duct-tape on board.

Dude, how can you possibly operate a sail boat?!?

:D

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:eek:You didn't have Vice-Grips?:eek:

Next, you'll tell us that you don't have Duct-tape on board.

Dude, how can you possibly operate a sail boat?!?

:D
I know, I know.. whatever was I thinking? :eek:

Duct tape:? Check. Can't leave the dock without duct-tape!!.. :D :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts