SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am right now at the start. It may seem odd to try to plan so far into the future. It goes against the do it now. Just do it. Sell it all and get out there advice.
Would it make sense to have an exit plan ? Is this a plan needed to finance an exit ? Is a plan just a road block or an anchor that stops us? We have a thread for $500 a month and $3000 a month. What defines the last month ?
I am trying to find out what happens to old salts after the cruise or life aboard? Josh Slocum sailed on. The Bumfuzzle crew got a van. Yes all will pass on :rolleyes:
I kind of guess it is the same on the water as on land. You need to know when to sell out or do if you just live out, and pass on aboard the boat. We can never really get away. Unlike a home a boat will not gain any value over time.
Thoughts ?
Kind Regards, Lou

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I am not fully agreed to you. I suppose if you don't want to sail, rather than selling out the boat I would suggest to rent it (to some known person). Its may be the matter of time that you don't want to sail. Who knows may be after 2 months or so you want it again. And nevertheless its sailing time again.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
My plan is to give mine to my kids. I sure wish my parents had given me one. :D

I sold my house on my last cruise and it was a mistake for me. The next time I go, we're keeping the house, even if we're gone several years. But, we have decided that it makes a lot more sense to just summer at home, and spend 7 to 8 months cruising every year, until we are too old to do it any more. We like our friends here, and our families, here and it's fun to have a foot in both worlds.

Reactions: Lou452 and jimgo

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
We are not at the exit from sailing point to be sure but we are at the what next point. We very much enjoy cruising but doubt we will do another circumnavigation or something similar. We will see what is it like in the Caribbean for a season but based on our short time there last month it certainly seemed crowded and perhaps a bit of the same old-same old. We might sail to Europe and I am interested in colder spots like Greenland but June does not enjoy cold weather sailing so likely not doing that.

Also, there are lots of things we want to do on-land. We really enjoyed the backpacking/interior travel we did on our voyage (Ecuador/Peru, NZ, Australia, South Africa). There are lots of interesting places that are not accessible by boat.

I think that exit plans fall into two categories: what you will do and financial. Financially we are OK with an indexed private pension and various government pensions (and yes I know we are lucky), a paid for house in a booming real estate market, and some investments, but it is the other category we have not figured out. I think you can and should have at least some idea about the financial what comes after. As to the what to do, not sure you can plan that very easily since your cruising experiences will make you a different person with different perspectives on life and the world.

·
bell ringer
5,082 Posts
I don't have an exit plan and don't plan to do one until I see the end as being closer. I think that except for a sudden death I should see the end coming, either health/age or financially wise, quite a ways before getting there. And since the conditions at that time can be so varied I may as well kind of wait to decide what and how to deal with it.

Reactions: Lou452

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm sure most folks will read this post and say "what?!", just like I did. But wait. I have thought about that. I'm a new boat owner at 57 and my wife is 56 years old. So. I can still climb like a monkey, am in excellent health, (real excellent ambition), and refitting the top end of the boat for years of worry-free adventure around the PNW.

BUT... realistically, I have thought "maybe we'll have 10 years" of good sailing left in us. So much can change that; health, finances, job, retirement, the economy, new war with Russia...

When it comes time to hang a 'for sale' sign on Traveler, we'll know it. We didn't buy her for any kind of investment or return. Would I have had these thoughts in my 30's or 40's? Probably not.

Dave

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sorta in line w/ this thread is what do we do so we CAN go cruising. I'm almost ready to retire and move somewhere less crowded and less expensive. But I'm not sure I want to chuck everything and go cruising full time. Do we buy a small house and keep our "stuff", what little we plan to hold on to there, and go and just cruise part of the year? Do we put our "stuff" in storage and really take the leap and run away? I can see us doing like Killarney and doing inland travel for weeks at a time in various locales. Interspersed w/ coming home some to take care of business, visit family, see the doc, etc.

So what would YOU do?

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Sail until I am dead.

Yup dat is plan A.

My boat is being 'minded' by a 77 year old who still scrubs hi own bottom using snorkel gear.

I know of two 80+ liveaboards still sailing.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
sailordave..i already did...i am out here in lovely weather beautiful countryside and no possessions other than what i have under and around me and nipping my ankles occasionally

much better than having to keep an eye on stuff in remote locations....
besides mebbe ye find somewhere better to be and dont wanna return to where yoiur stuff is stashed......something to consider.....

·
Registered
431 Posts
Face down on a beach, sunburnt, penniless, and incoherently holding an old bottle of rum half full of salt water, while the non-English speaking islander children poke me with sticks. This is my Waterloo, and I am riding it out until the bitter end.

·
Registered
765 Posts
DaveE: I am the same age as you and seem to have the same considerations. I am hoping for maybe 23 years based on how my parents did. My interests in cruising comes and goes and I know I'll never want to cruise full time or even half time. I'd like to spend maybe 20% cruising, 20% in Florida, 20% in Wyoming, 20% visiting kids, 20% other travel, 20% caving. See the problem?
My biggest prob is "what boat"? Do I stay with my faithful 28' S2 and sail her to the max of her capabilities or do I get a bigger boat? I think I can sail the S2 down the Carib islands and around the Gulf of Mexico but not really sure. A bigger boat means bigger problems. Just taking care of a house in FL, property in WY, trying to keep up the sailboat, powerboat and canoes and kayaks and caving stuff will get harder and I think I need to simplify instead of get bigger probs.
Everybodies solution is probably almost unique.

·
Registered
712 Posts
DaveE: I am the same age as you and seem to have the same considerations. I am hoping for maybe 23 years based on how my parents did. My interests in cruising comes and goes and I know I'll never want to cruise full time or even half time. I'd like to spend maybe 20% cruising, 20% in Florida, 20% in Wyoming, 20% visiting kids, 20% other travel, 20% caving. See the problem?
My biggest prob is "what boat"? Do I stay with my faithful 28' S2 and sail her to the max of her capabilities or do I get a bigger boat? I think I can sail the S2 down the Carib islands and around the Gulf of Mexico but not really sure. A bigger boat means bigger problems. Just taking care of a house in FL, property in WY, trying to keep up the sailboat, powerboat and canoes and kayaks and caving stuff will get harder and I think I need to simplify instead of get bigger probs.
Hey FW,

I'll concure with everybody's solution will fit them exclusively. Sounds like you have a full plate, good luck.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Unlike a home a boat will not gain any value over time.
Thoughts ?
Kind Regards, Lou
That last part is very important. :) In fact, it's worse. Even the best boats lose value despite huge investments many of us(myself included) put into them.

I never could understand the sell your home and go cruising advice. It's a fine idea, as long as you know, for many people, it's a one way ticket. :)

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
Lou, that is a great question. It is well known that the vast majority of cruisers give it up before they are dead. The few (maybe the lucky few), die with their Sperry's on. Just read the Interview with a Cruiser blogs to see. Most cruised for a portion of their lives. I don't think it's been updated in a while, but here's the link:

The INTERVIEW WITH A CRUISER Project

Personally, I get bored with anything I'm sentenced to do perpetually, as much as I love sailing/cruising. Anything. I need variety, I need a break. However, I don't need a big house with big obligations. I moderate condo to return to will be part of our plans. If, god forbid, cruising is taken away from us for health or financial reasons, it is very important to us to have that plan baked already.

Reactions: Lou452

·
Registered
765 Posts
One major prob I see is how much your interests change with age. The lack of comfort you are willing to endure at 40 is far diff from what you want at 55. I've sat in the coffeeshop in Hopetown thinking, "This is so comfy and I get to talk to people who wander by, why do I want to go out there and scare myself to death?"

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
They can give me a Viking burial in my last boat. It will likely be cheaper option than cremation and cost to get rid of the old boat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Remember man that thou art dust, and to dust thou shalt return"

What a great thread for Ash Wednesday. If that was not the intent then the irony is thick.

You ask a very provocative question and one that most of us probably don't spend a lot of time thinking about and planning for. If we choose not to deal with the reality of our mortality or just the reality of our needing to stop cruising at some point in our lives, then either we or our loved ones left behind will be forced to deal with it sooner or later.

For those of you who say you will just cruise until you die, do you think that your boat and your corpse will just vanish the moment you perish?

I'm not preaching because I, too, need to give this some thought and planning.

Thanks, Lou

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I think like that all of the time now. My wife and I are both 56 and I tell her all of the time. We only have about 20 good summers, years, whatever, left. We don't want to waste any of them! :D

Reactions: joyinPNW and Lou452

·
Registered
765 Posts
When I was younger, somehow, I managed to do enough cool stuff so I dont wish I had done much more then. I think it was mostly cuz nobody would hire me so I had time between jobs.
Now, I have some older friends who are retiring and they talk about doing the outdoor stuff they wish they had done earlier. Unfortunately, they now find they can't cuz of health issues or keeping grandkids or whatever.
So, when my older daughter graduated from college (BS in Biology) I told her that she shouldn't get a "real" job but should concentrate on having adventures. So, her and her BF worked for awhile at restaurant jobs saving like crazy and then did something all over Europe called HelpX where they would live and work someplace for two weeks in exchange for room and board. They went all over Europe for 8 months doing this.
Then they came home for about a year doing the restaurant thing again and then went to Australia and both found jobs in a very remote mining town in NW AU where they worked for two years and then spent 4 months travelling all over SE Asia.
Now, they are back having saved an absurd amount of money there and are going to start "real" careers. They did it all on their own.
I wish it was so easy for us older types but we just aren't cute enough to be given breaks by ppl.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts