SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious where other sailors store books aboard their boats. I'm not talking about a library of fiction, but a few necessary reference manuals that need to stay in very good condition. I guess what I'm wondering is how you keep them from getting mold, mildew, crinkled up, and generally ratty looking.

Ideas I have, but have no idea if they'll work, include ..

- sealing each book in some kind of plastic zip bag
- creating a sealed space with a door that can hold the books
- putting them into a dry bag
- other ?

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
If you have a dry boat it should be no issue, but if you have a leaky hulldeck joint you are going to have issues as it is right there above the shelf on most boats.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Digitize them. Store them on your iPad. Plus a backup, of course. Here on the equator the books get "soft", fragile, and slowly fall apart. The plastic bag or airtight box with rice might work. However I think out in the circulating air is better. Perhaps against the sunny side of the hull, which around here changes every 6 months.

Most of my boat's data sheet's and such are either in the iPad or in binders in transparent sleeves. The sleeve does not stop the humidity, if just prevents wear and tear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.