SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the part time world cruisers out there. When you take a break from cruising and fly home to visit family do you leave your boat floating in a marina or pull it out and place it on the hard? The thought of leaving my boat unattended for months, in a marina half way around the world concerns me.

·
3,505 Posts
I've always left the boat in the water. Usually we know people(other cruisers) in the marina that will look after the boat. I've also returned the favor many times. If I was going to be away for more then a few (6) months I would consider putting it on the hardstand.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Jeanneau 57
2,939 Posts
I always store my boat on the hard, it lessens the chances of it sinking while unattended and certainly prevents bottom growth while letting the hull dry out. Locks on boats are rather ineffective in keeping out determined thieves and in order to board in a fenced yard any thieves would need to get a ladder set up and plan ingress and egress.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I've not been faced with the decision, but I would lean toward being on the hard for an extended period. It's probably a good opportunity to do bottom maintenance anyway.

If just a week or so, to visit family, I probably wouldn't. Unless I was truly worried about security and couldn't find someone to pay to keep an eye on her. There are plenty of boat managers floating around the Caribbean that do this for a living.

·
Registered
765 Posts
For some reason, In the Abacos, on the hard is cheaper. My boat gets out of the water in early June and is one of the first in the yard so when a hurricane comes and everybody is scrambling to get into limited yard space and limited jack stands, my boat the best protected and one of the least least expensive boats. My little 28' boat worth maybe $8000 is better protected than $500,000 yachts. Thank You Marsh Harbor Boat Yard.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Have investigated this some as debating whether to sail boat home or leave in caribbean for the summer.
Insurance likes it better if you are on the hard with keel in a ditch and boat strapped down to re inforced anchor points.
Trade offs are wear on the boat going back and forth with ~1700m one way door to door. Versus use of the boat june to November.
Economically may be cheaper to put on the hard and you get to put better bottom paint on the boat as well as give it a good waxing.
However, having real trouble with the concept of no boat for the summer.
With idiotcy from Venezuela spreading sailing south out of hurricane zone has much less appeal.
Wet storage still means a short haul so makes less sense to me.
Be real curious what other folks do.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I don't think I could spend a season without the boat being available. That's why when I sail south next October, I'm going to dock it at the marina, jump on a plane, fly home, drive back down to the Florida Keys with my loving spouse of more than a half century, and live aboard for 5 months. Then, she'll drive home and I'll sail back to Chesapeake Bay so we can continue sailing for the ensuing summer months.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.