SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The storm image posted by obelisk in the Pictures: Those Perfect moments thread got me to thinking there must be a lot of great storm photos in the SailNet community. It would be great to have a thread that pulls them together.

I don't see a cigar, but I clearly see two eyes, a nose and a mouth full of teeth!
That is one scary picture.
we met a couple from seattle in the Micalvi Bar in Puerto Williams and we sailed together. they took pics of us and we returned the favor.

a not-so-perfect moment Florianopolis, Brazil Nov. 2009
-
-
Here are a few of mine. These are probably pretty tame compared with what others have seen. I'ld love to see your favorite storm pics.

Front approaching Newport RI - July 2011

IMG_5297 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

It's arrived

IMG_5298 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

Big fat juicy raindrops

IMG_5304 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

Rainbow

IMG_5308 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

·
Banned
226 Posts
quick. board that boat. there is a pot of gold right there! i bet thar owner was real happy to find it. i never saw any up close pics of where the rainbow actually terminates like this one. awesome!

·
19,489 Posts
Chuck A - you need to quit with the modesty... those are some great pics.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,293 Posts
Yea, that photo posted by obelisk is impressive...

I'm not usually thinking about taking pictures when a storm approaches, this is all I have ;) ...

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Yes, I an with Faster, why the modesty:rolleyes:?

Those picks are just very good.

Now you've got me, I sail solo most of the time and when it is bad I have more to do then to take photos and even when it is not really bad I have not an waterproof camera that I can expose to the elements. The best I can get is this one and it is not a storm, merely a force 6 or something like that.

And departing port at the same day, a windy but otherwise nice day (the port is Mahon on Minorca).

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Not quite a storm, but a front. Two different versions.

·
19,489 Posts
Not a major storm either, but a rather wet tropical squall that we happily missed (for once). These pictures were taken one after the other, the first looking forward, then looking aft.

Ahead to St Eustacia

Aft towards St Kitts

·
Semi-Pro
15 Posts
Chuck, was the front in your pictures blowing in from the upper bay/warwick, or from Rhode Island Sound? If that was the one that came from the north, I distinctly remember running from that thing in an open launch (she was empty, I was doing an inspection circuit of the mooring field)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Springline - That was Wednesday July 13. just before 6 pm. We were anchored off Ida Lewis YC, having just returned from Block Island. We spent the night in Newport before continuing on our way up the bay. The front came in from the NW. You can tell from the pic where the rain was filling in from the bridge toward the anchorage. It really didn't blow that hard when the front came through and it cleared off in a couple of hours, but during the night, a 2nd cold front came through. I had turned in with only had 1 anchor out becasue I thought the worst had passed earlier in the evening but I was awakened at about 1 am, bucking like a hobby horse, with the wind whistling through the rigging. It was gusting from the North/North East, for which that anchorage is relatively unprotected. After lying awake for quite a while, I decided the only way I was going to get any sleep was to brave the night and use the dingy to drop my delta anchor with 40 ft of heavy chain. It took me about 45 minutes to set the 2nd anchor, but I slept well the rest of the night.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
http://www.imagesbymarco.com/p347385998/e2664830

Us getting whalloped pretty good on Columbus Day Regatta this year. There's a whole series that shows us going from hauling ass to basically getting knocked down. Yikes.

*edit*

I've cropped some of them...but please click marco's link to see the pic series for full effect

My wife is in the red foulies...I am in the yellow. Great race to be shorthanded...*ugh*

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Downt the bay race (123nm) dodging cells in 2011. The big one ahead of us was much worse.

And the delivery trip back up the bay had a nice bearded bastard that brought 35+ at sunset.

Wish I got a pic of the storm over the Gulf stream, that was pretty wicked looking.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hurricane Irene in Washington, NC - the white objects are the tops of dock pedestals. The ones in the bottom left corner are on land.

Attachments

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
A t-storm/squall came through last summer and dropped a couple of small tornados to the ground - then roared right over us:

Good times.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts