SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any information on installing a storm trysail track on a Hood (or similar)Mast with in the mast furling ie how to attach sail track to mast without impeding the furling of the mainsail, as well as required deck fittings.

J

·
0 Posts
You normally would need one offshore. The sailcloth used on normal mainsails tends to be too light and stretchy for the really heavy stuff. Also one of the points in using a storm trysail is to not have to use the boom. They ideally sheet to the deck like a jib.

Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
jeff,
we have had the unfortunate experience to have to use our trysail and also our drogue.
i asked the question since i have seen some offshore mains that are roller furling that are built with a very heavy section of sail cloth near the clew. this portion of the sail can be used in 50+ knots.
one such example is some of the sails available on the amel.
regards
eric

J

·
0 Posts
I really don''t think that offshore mains that are roller furling that are built with a very heavy section of sail cloth near the clews can really work well. If the cloth is really heavy enough to act as a storm trisail it is too heavy for day to day use in normal conditions. Beyond that there is a problem with ''creep'' on rolled up sails that are exposed to a lot of wind for a long period of time. In other words, a sail in the partially rolled condition pulls more heavily down and aft at the leech than at the other parts of the sail. This causes the rolled up sail to slide layer over layer allowing the leech at the head to creep downward toward the foot putting more belly in the sail which is exactly what you don''t want in a storm sail. Beyond that you are still forced to use the boom rather than sheet to the deck like a jib which is considered the proper setup for a storm Trisail.

Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PLEASE--lets get back to my original questions! I have already decided that a storm trysail is preferred over a reefed or furled main.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts