SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the kerosene/alcohol stove in my 1980 Catalina 30. Ideally, what I'd like is a simple gimballed two-burner that runs on kerosene, but I haven't found anything of the sort available. I'm not crazy about butane canisters, and I don't have space for a proper propane locker. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
You could convert your existing stove to propane and hang a small propane tank off your pushpit. At least that's what I did with one of our boats with an alcohol stove and another boat with a kerosene stove. Propane is sure handy. The wife always wondered why I stood up on the bow each time she lit it though.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Hawg, When we ordered our new boat in 1999 we had the propane stove deleted. My wife is night supervisor of a burn center here and she did not want propane on board.

We went the non-pressurized alcohol stove a ORIGO
2 burner and have been very happy with it. With a rail mounted BBQ also we cook anything we wish.

I haven't seen a kerosene boat stove for years. you may want to check out camping gear.

<TABLE class=table><TBODY><TR><TD class=photo align=middle><TABLE cellPadding=0 width=150 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=150><TABLE style="CURSOR: pointer" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD title=stove></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/2ai/cg-4.gif)"></TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/2ai/cg-6.gif)"></TD><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=desc>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Bender of Nails
66 Posts
I'm not trying to hijack so I'll keep this brief, but I've been thinking about stoves recently as well. I don't have any experience with them, but I'm thinking about a diesel, specifically a Dickie Bering.

Have you ruled out diesel ? If so, why ? (besides the smell,lol)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I'm looking to replace the kerosene/alcohol stove in my 1980 Catalina 30. Ideally, what I'd like is a simple gimballed two-burner that runs on kerosene, but I haven't found anything of the sort available. I'm not crazy about butane canisters, and I don't have space for a proper propane locker. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Taylors 028

We had the Taylor-030 (stove w/oven) on our Dana 24 and it was a very nice piece of handiwork. I prefer propane, but if kerosene is what you want, this is the way to go.

(Note paraffin = kerosene)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is rebuilding the old one out of the question?

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
I'll second the Origo. An added advantage is since it uses denatured alcohol, you can buy fuel anywhere that sells painting supplies.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Taylors 028

We had the Taylor-030 (stove w/oven) on our Dana 24 and it was a very nice piece of handiwork. I prefer propane, but if kerosene is what you want, this is the way to go.

I'll second that re Taylor. I had one on the previous boat 25 years ago and loved it. Have propane now, but if I had to replace I'd consider the Taylor

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've also had a couple of Origo Alchohols in the past and was satisfied but they are not gimbled and have no holder/clamps. That Taylor looks interesting being gimbled and clamped. Since we rarely cook much underway/heeled if I had to prioritize gimble or pan holder/clamps (I have both) I would choose Pan Holder/Clamps because most stove gimbals are only in one plane (more like a hinge really) for heeling and at anchor you could get "waked" fore or aft. At least if the pan is secured gimbled or not it "should" stay put.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Origo works fine

We love our 2 burner gimballed Origo. Easy to clean and safe. We hope to try a Dutch oven this year and make fresh rolls and bread. :)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
You can always go to the nearest camping store and get a camping stove that runs on butane, then keep the butane canisters (about the size of a big cigar) in a bag fastened to the lifelines.
Yeah, it's not abyc certified, but what it is is a 1980 Catalina 30, and I'm doubting SailHog actually cooks his food anyway.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies... I yanked the stove and the tank out of the boat yesterday and discovered the problem. The fuel line, which runs from the stern lazarette to the galley, has an occlusion in it, and the tank itself has a nasty little leak at the brass exit valve. I think I can solve both problems, so long as I can find a replacement fuel line with the proper fitting. I'm going to mend the valve with some plumbing thread goo that won't dissolve when in contact with denatured ethyl alcohol.

Tell me if I'm being too careful here, but I've already got a gasoline inboard on this boat, and I'm not ready to go with yet another combustible gas (propane or butane).

Anyway, thanks for all the help. You guys are the very best.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone know where I might find a replacement fuel line with the proper brass fittings for an old Galley Maid alcohol stove? I'm thinking this could be hard to come by...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike,
You da man! Next time I accuse you of commisserating with smoking trannies, feel free to tell me to shut up!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just hung up the phone... The fellow said they don't carry the rubber line anymore, and suggested that I go with copper tubing. He says the fittings are readily available, although I neglected to ask him where. Copper tubing is going to be a PITA to snake through from the galley to the stern lazarette... Whataya think?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts