SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any rough figures for stowage capacity in terms of weight for Cruising boats?

I know this will vary by design but I am fishing for some rough figures.

I am wondering what a Cal 46 could handle (15 ton boat with ample free board)?

I ask because we have been asked to transport goods as a part of a no-carbon transport method :)

I know when we transported grain a 4 ton boat could take 1500 lbs (roughly)
and the 2 ton boats took about 800 lbs roughly.

My guess is the 15 ton CAL 46 could carry 4 tons of cargo: does this sound reasonable for an off shore passage?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Carrying 8000 lbs is going to adversely affect most boats to some degree. The sailing performance will be atrocious and overloading the boat may lead to rig damage.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
You may want to search for the thread about the boat that was carring coffee and what happened to them. I believe it was sometime last year.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
that's cause you buy it by the truck load. :)
Not to mention where the heck you're you're going to stow this stuff. I have a hard time just finding room for beer.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
I wasn't kidding. When we go to the Bahamas for the winter we usually have about 20 cases aboard. For the first month or two I have to sleep with it. By the way, it's quite comforting to curl up with five or six cases of beer. :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Wouldn't a half-dozen kegs just be easier... :)
I wasn't kidding. When we go to the Bahamas for the winter we usually have about 20 cases aboard. For the first month or two I have to sleep with it. By the way, it's quite comforting to curl up with five or six cases of beer. :)

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Does anyone have any rough figures for stowage capacity in terms of weight for Cruising boats?

I know this will vary by design but I am fishing for some rough figures.

I am wondering what a Cal 46 could handle (15 ton boat with ample free board)?

I ask because we have been asked to transport goods as a part of a no-carbon transport method :)

I know when we transported grain a 4 ton boat could take 1500 lbs (roughly)
and the 2 ton boats took about 800 lbs roughly.

My guess is the 15 ton CAL 46 could carry 4 tons of cargo: does this sound reasonable for an off shore passage?
About 32 bales of...................................:laugher

·
Registered
249 Posts
About 10% of the displacement weight is said to be a normal load over the normal weight of crew, water, fuel, and equipment.

So; about 3000lbs. More will adversely affect the safety and sailing qualities of your boat.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the previous thread about the 'beatniks' shipping the coffee I know there are a lot of people who think the idea of shipping something like coffee by a small sailboat is ridiculous. One post on that thread said that regarding fuel use that a cargo ship would potentially use far less fuel per pound shipped. There is definitely substantive weight to that arguement but it is possible to sail the trip completely under sail which although doesn't really reduce the amount of Carbon going into the atmospere by a massive amount, the trip does accomplishes some great things:
1) It promotes sailing
2) It makes us think about our consumption and what we do and the effect on our environment
3) Brings attention to our food consumption and its effect on the planet - although cargo ships are actually very efficient means of transport - what about "jet fresh" This practice of food delivery is undesputeably having a tremendous and negative impact to our environment.

The reason I come to this forum is for good solid advice around safety and good sailing practices. There are levels of seamanship that make offshore sailing relatively safe. Loading a boat within safe limits is critical to safety. Making sure rigging in good shape, especially with a boat loaded is also critical. Proper safety equipment, training and experience - essential.

Why not build an offshore sailing mission around the delivery of goods if it can be done in a safe manner? This forum supports people sailing for love of sailing, why not add another element of ecological preservation!

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
apples and oranges

I travel to Belize yearly and they use sailboats for tending fish nets and carrying cargo. It works fine, but their boats are designed to do that. The cruisers most people use are made for relative comfort and enjoyment. I suppose a comparison of a moving truck vs an RV would work. The modifications you would need in order to make a profit are not practical. You could modify it enough to do both but that idea went out with the piston engines. But I think your intentions are certainly good.

Some of the sailors in Belize still use dugout canoes on the sailboats for fishing and life boats! Watching these gaff rigged boats in action is like watching a ballet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts