SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
On my previous boat, Hunter 25, I just laid them on the quarter berth. Not idea but they were out of the way. I want to see what others do with them.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I put them on the quarter berth as well out of the way but I can reach them from the cockpit if I need to.

·
19,489 Posts
Have seen some nice arrangements.. on some of today's companionways the aft cabin/head enclosures leave a flat panel either side of the ladder, on some boats a rack or straps are installed to keep them there vertically stored beside the ladder/hatchway. Very convenient.

Similarly I've seen racks/holders on the inside surface of the cockpit sides right under the cockpit locker lid, and/or stored on the underside of the lid itself.

·
3,506 Posts
I made a Sunbrella bag (from some old stuff) and they stand just inside the companionway secured by some bungy cord material. Easy to get at, out off the way and secure.

Reactions: downeast450

·
Registered
32 Posts
My previous boat had a wire rack for the stowing the boards. The rack was mounted on a bulkhead inside the cockpit locker. Very convenient. On my current boat, I had a canvas shop make up a sleeve with three pockets for the boards. Keeps the varnished boards from getting beat up. I stow the sleeve in a cockpit locker.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
On my old boat, I made a bag/case for them. I had some "outdoor" fabric left over from a project and made a big sleeve. In the middle, I folded a towel and could slide the boards in between the folds of the towel. It worked great! I need to make another one for this boat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Two very seamanlike methods (echoed by others for excellent reasons) that I've personally seen:

1. Just inside the companionway, on any convenient surface, a slim wooden boxlike holder that the boards slip into and out of.

2. Inside of a cockpit lazarette, hang an easy to reach pouch made of very heavy duty fabric. Use velcro to hold it closed.

#2 is my personal favorite--completely out of the way, yet very accessible.

I never really thought about doing anything but throwing the boards on the quarterberth until I saw these nice options.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A three compartment "canvass" pouch hanging in the cockpit lazarette against the cockpit wall is a solution that will suit the space available on my Islander 28 very well.

Thanks to all my sailnet friends for these excellent suggestions. The space I have been using in the quarter birth won't be available after a couple of other mods that are taking place this winter.

Down

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
My previous boat had a wire rack for the stowing the boards. The rack was mounted on a bulkhead inside the cockpit locker. Very convenient. On my current boat, I had a canvas shop make up a sleeve with three pockets for the boards. Keeps the varnished boards from getting beat up. I stow the sleeve in a cockpit locker.
I just refinished my hatch boards and was pondering how to preserve them.
I have some blown-out sails just begging to be recycled. Thanks for the great idea.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I made a stainless steel pouch in the Port lazarette adjacent wall to the cockpit. 30" long, 4" wide and 10" deep. Lined it with a rubber mat like that use under carpet for non skid.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
I made a rack for the boards and they sit there on passage.

I do have solid ones stored below next to the companionway in a wallet and secure in a locker.

Yes I know I have the badge of shame, an offset companionway but it does have a 9 inch sill.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
+ 1 for the cockpit lazarette solution.

Down, I wish I could remember canvas company that did it for me, but they are in your neighborhood and used by my favorite boat builder.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+ 1 for the cockpit lazarette solution.

Down, I wish I could remember canvas company that did it for me, but they are in your neighborhood and used by my favorite boat builder.
Thanks Capecodda,

I need a sewing project.

Down

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
In blue water I stow them in the companionway - just in case.

Since I sail OPBs I see lots of options. My favourite were slots on a bulkhead in an aft cabin. Slots in a locker / lazarette are nice as well.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I have a small boat a Coronado 25 which has 1 hatch big board that is a pain in the arse to find a good place for it so I am going to make a 2 piece hatch and I will make a wooden box (envelope) and attach it to the side of the companion way ladder. They will store vertically in a padded pockets. Now to the drawing board....

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a small boat a Coronado 25 which has 1 hatch big board that is a pain in the arse to find a good place for it so I am going to make a 2 piece hatch and I will make a wooden box (envelope) and attach it to the side of the companion way ladder. They will store vertically in a padded pockets. Now to the drawing board....
why not just cut it in half, make your cut at a 45° bevel and you have a nice set of hatch boards at a real low cost :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
why not just cut it in half, make your cut at a 45° bevel and you have a nice set of hatch boards at a real low cost :D
Good suggestion. Just be sure you add back the waste lost in the cutting or they may not fit right. I refinished mine last year, got a little too aggressive with the sander on the edges and opened a sizable gap at the top..DOH!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts