SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Cool article. It was hard to tell if they grabbed footage from existing YouTube channels, or did their own remote interviews, which one would think would be nearly impossible.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Cool article. It was hard to tell if they grabbed footage from existing YouTube channels, or did their own remote interviews, which one would think would be nearly impossible.
Bryan on S/V Delos just installed a high speed satellite link so I think their interview was live. The B roll footage probably came from their You Tube videos. Amazing how far the tech has come. I still remember trying to get to anchorages in the hopes of finding a pay phone ashore so I could contact my girlfriend so she would not worry.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Bryan on S/V Delos just installed a high speed satellite link so I think their interview was live. The B roll footage probably came from their You Tube videos. Amazing how far the tech has come. I still remember trying to get to anchorages in the hopes of finding a pay phone ashore so I could contact my girlfriend so she would not worry.
I recall Delos has use of the sat link for free, as a beta tester. Although, I'm not sure the tech isn't already available, so it may be just marketing. I wonder just how expensive it really is. I'll bet it makes being isolated in the Bahamas out islands much more tolerable, as they have constant contact with friends and family, full internet, etc.

When I spent a winter in Europe, at 19 years old, there was absolutely no practical way to call home. My parents dropped me at the airport and couldn't have even known I was on the return flight, until they saw me exit the jetway. In those days, they could enter and wait at the gate. Talk about different times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts