SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a first for me. With the temps warming I took her out this morning on the Chesapeake Bay. On the way out the instruments showed the wind from the South. So once I got out a bit I cut the engine down and pointed her to the wind and began to raise the sails. But the wind in the sails was NE instead of S. This was confusing for a while. After a couple of minutes I decide to sail with the wind I felt on my face rather than what was shown at the instruments. Went out NNE for a while and as I got further from land the wind shifted more to E or ESE but the top of the mast still showed the wind from the South. After about 2 hours it all went back to normal and the wind was SSW.
I imagine this was cause by the temperature inversion cause by the very cold water and the warm land, but it was the first time I've encountered a case where the wind at 60ft up the top of the mast was completely different that the wind on the deck and the sails.
Learn something new every time I sail. :) Guess that's why my house floats.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John, instruments are fine. I live aboard and sail in the winter (including this saturday without problems)
Adam, there are no high land masses on the bay and i kept looking at the sail trim expecting to see the main twist, but all i saw was some strange twist in the jib, but not much. Also, the water is about 37 deg and the air temps on the bay were cool (i guess about 40 deg, i had to wear a wool cap, warm jacket and gloves). When i got back to Back Creek, the temps were in the 70's and there were really strange looking light refractions just above the horizon as that i noticed on my return to the Creek. I didn't notice them on the way out.
There was even a time when i was sailing just over 5kts on a starboard tack while the instruments showed i was heading straight into the wind.
Definitely a new and strange experience for me.
Was anyone else out in the center of the bay this morning to early afternoon?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.