SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the first boat show that I will be attending and I don't know what to expect.

Will this years boat show be as good as the previous ones? Is it worth attending?

Anybody else going?

Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
EG23
If you've never been to a Boat Show, you'll have fun. Go, talk to everyone, ask lots of questions. The Toronto Boat show is one of the highlights of my winter and it is mainly power with a section set aside to show new sailboats. The "Mariner's Marketplace" is where the real damage to your wallet (but solace to your soul) is done. You will find the back seat of your car jammed with things that you didn't even know existed before the show... they spray some kind of a boating smell into the convention centre making all things irresistable. We are debating making the journey to Chicago next weekend for the show but I'm afraid my measly Canadian dollars won't go as far as necessary. Be afraid and have fun! (If you've never been to a boat show before, who cares if the show is as good as previous years?)

·
Seattle Sailor
192 Posts
Going to Chicago

Take your wallet with all the cash you can afford to spend on boat stuff, and leave the credit cards home.....
Look through the seminars list and see if there are topics of interest.
Don't get suckered into to something you don't think you need ahead of time. Everything looks really cool and useful at Strictly Sail. Have fun along with the rest of us.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Anybody else going?
There are quite a few of us going.
Follow the link in Bubb2's post for more info.
In a nut shell, there will be an informal gathering of about 20 of us on Friday evening. That is scheduled to take place around 5:00. The location will be at the Billy Goat Tavern on the Pier, just a short walk from the show on Navy Pier.
You are very welcome to join us.
See you there, just look for a bunch of Bilge Rats and that will be us.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
You can easily see the exhibits in one day, but I like to spend two days there and attend the seminars that interest me. Most of them are free, and you'll have a chance to ask questions of a really knowledgeable person. Occasionally, one of the speakers is, or will be, a sailing legend, and it's interesting to meet him and hear him talk. You'll find a complete list of the seminars on the Strictly Sail Chicago website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips - looking forward hearing more. I'd love to meet up on Friday but I already have plans that day.

Erik G.

·
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the tips - looking forward hearing more. I'd love to meet up on Friday but I already have plans that day.

Erik G.
So...you're near..but..HAVE PLANS FOR THAT NIGHT?????

good for you...don't come back later and ask us...how do I do this...how do I do that...I want to cruis thye world, should I take an Opti or an old shoe??

WE WILL NOT HELP YOU...OK???

Pfff.....some people..God gived hazzelnuts to animals with no teeth....beat it punk

:laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll be there friday and thurs. First time in 4 years, I am really looking foreward to it. Bought a full set of sails and a furrler last time I went, and have been afraid to return with the check book. The wife isn't letting me take the check book this time, so I guess I'll be all right.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Chicago vs Miami

If you could go to one or the other....would you choose Chicago or Miami? Which is the better show for sailors?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Any parking recommendations? Not sure if the pier parking lot fills up or not.

Looking forward to going!!! First real sailing show for me.

·
Seattle Sailor
192 Posts
RE: Chicago or Miami Show?

Are you kidding? Go to the Miami show and you will get sunburned, heat stroke, and probably drink too much beer during the show to remember any of it. Besides, you will just be dying to get out and sail instead of wandering around the show. Plus all the nearly naked women wandering around will distract you from your true purpose....

Go to Chicago, on the other hand, and you will be absolutely ecstatic to be inside in the warm environment. Most of the beer drinking will be after the exhibits close, and there is no way in hell you will want to be out on Lake Michigan sailing! And, as an added bonus, you will not have to slap sunscreen on any exposed body parts (in fact, you will probably not have any exposed body parts). Plus, if you want to purchase any sails, you could probably take them outside the door and test them in the wind screaming between the buildings. Where else are you going to be able to check the freezing point of a composite sail?

So, I don't know.... You decide. The rest of us will be freezing our asses off trying to get a taxi back to the hotel while enjoying the 2 deg temperatures and -50 deg wind chill. See you there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any parking recommendations? Not sure if the pier parking lot fills up or not.

Looking forward to going!!! First real sailing show for me.
The website says they have parking for $23 per day, then again I'm also not sure how fast it will fill up.

Have fun on the trip.. I know I will!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts