SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone taken the "Lee Chesneau's Marine Weather Symposium"? It is being offered at the Chicago Strictly Sail show next month and I was wondering if it is worth the time (16 total hours for both parts 1 and 2) and money ($175 and $195). Also, are there any other seminars being offered there that anyone has found helpful?

Shawn

Oh great, first post and I posted to the wrong forum. Sorry, this should have been in the general discussion section.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Reaction score
I can't speak to the Chesnau seminar, but have sat in on a number of the other seminars, and found them to generally be interesting and/or informative. Some are, of course, not as worthwhile as others, but you generally have to attend to find that out. Most last about an hour, so, the worst case is that you'll lose an hour's time. Some of the seminar speakers are there primarily to sell you their sailing school courses or products, and others are there to share their knowledge. Some try to do both, of course. If you plan to spend a day at the Chicago boat show, it won't take that long to see the exhibits, so you'll have plenty of time to pick out some seminars that especially interest you. Personally, I enjoy them.

13,871 Posts
Reaction score
Chesneau is great...I had a 6 hour cruising weather seminar with him back about 8 years ago and it was very worth while and spurred my further interest as well. 16 hours will leave you brain dead but will probably provide some of the info I wished I could have gotten into in 6 hours but didn't have time for.
I guess the real question is...are you going on extended blue water cruising where such knowledge will be needed? Or...do you just have a real interest in weather prediction? There is NOW so much easily accessible weather info available in most cruising destinations that the need for your own expertise is now much diminished unless you are gonna be well off the well traveled grid.
In any event...Lee is GREAT!

· Leap! The net will appear
234 Posts
Reaction score
Also, are there any other seminars being offered there that anyone has found helpful?

Shawn

QUOTE]

Great question, Shawn! I was just pondering this the other day.
I have the days blocked off on my work Outlook calendar. Priorities!

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Reaction score
Capt. Jack Klang is always there, sponsored by Quantum Sails, and he discusses different sailing topics continuously throughout the day. Although I have heard him many times, I always spend some time listening to him. His talks are especially helpful with regard to line handling and boat handling, and novices as well as experienced sailors can get good tips from him. His talks are very practical, and will help you get your boat in and out of your slip and get the boat tied up, trim your sails, etc. He speaks in plain English, avoiding sailing terminology that might confuse novices. He also has a book and CD. I bought the book.

· Registered
5,600 Posts
Reaction score
Here's Saturday's lineup of seminars. Most if not all are repeated on the other days as well.

Anyone who has attended any of these feel free to comment...

10:30Boat Stupid Tricks, Laugh or Weep Tom Rau, Coast Guard Senior Chief (ret)324
10:30Performance Handicapping Paul Ansfield301
10:30Blister Repair and Prevention Tony Palabrica 323
10:30North To Alaska Liza Copeland326
10:30Cruising the Suncoast Randy Deering327
11:45Cruising the BVI Rob Swain307
11:45Propellers & Propulsion Steve Armitage309
11:45Anchoring TBD319/320
11:45Cruising the Virgin Islands with Confidence Captain David Appleton324
11:45How to maintain your Diesel Engine Steve McGovern327
11:45Lee Chesneau classes Lee Chesneau305
11:45Around the World in 5 Weeks John Kretschmer325
1:00Lee Chesneau classes Lee Chesneau305
1:00Charts, Compass and GPS Gary Kulibert301
1:00Live Healthy, Cruise Longer Kim Hess307
1:00Lake Superior's Apostle Islands Niels Jensen319/320
1:00Boat Stupid Tricks, Laugh or Weep Tom Rau, Coast Guard Senior Chief (ret)323
1:00Hurricane Preparation Pam Wall324
1:00Cruising the Eastern Caribbean Liza Copeland325
1:00Performance Bottom Coatings Bob Harris326
1:00Lessons of Life from a Solo Circumnavigation Captain William "Bill" Pinkney 327
2:15Circumnavigation/ Solo Sailing Mike Harker301
2:15Lee Chesneau classes Lee Chesneau305
2:15For the Racing Sailor! Jim Johnstone319/320
2:15Live Healthy, Cruise Longer Kim Hess307
2:15Joshua Slocum: The First Cruiser Bill Strauss323
2:15Two on a Boat - How to Keep it Afloat Captain Josie Longo326
2:15Cruising Georgian Bay and the North Channel Ralph Folsom & Pixie Haughwout327
3:30Chartering and Cruising the Lake Erie Islands Captain Dave Bello319/320
3:30Basic Celestial Navigation Ken Gebhart324
3:30A Sailor looks at Leadership Randy Deering326
3:30Lee Chesneau classes Lee Chesneau305
3:30Single Handed Spinnaker Sailing Etienne Giroire323
4:15Lee Chesneau classes Lee Chesneau305
4:15Basic Boat Maintenance Projects Scott Sky Smith319/320
4:15Sailing the North Channel in One Week Anna Pasteris & Anne Matz326
5:30Lee Chesneau classes Lee Chesneau305
5:30Learn - to - sail on a Learning Vacation Captains Dave Skoro and Richard Coleman307
5:30When, what and Why to do a survey Scott Sky Smith326
5:30Lessons of Life from a Solo Circumnavigation Captain William "Bill" Pinkney 327

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.