SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to strip the one part paint off of my non-skid deck, in prep for two part.
I've used various strippers, I thought with little success. I was still seeing cracking in what I assumed was paint. It then occurred to me that that would have been exactly why the previous owner painted the gel coat in the first place!
One of the pictures shows a section that I stripped. The red dots indicate the line between the stripped section and the lower, unstripped section. The other picture shows a close-up of the stripped section. Could I be down to gelcoat? How would I know?

I've been commenting about the stripping process in this other thread, if anyone's interested. Including , why I don't want to remove the non-skid pattern . HELP !!!! Repainting fiberglass deck.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Are you sure it was painted? Usually paint fills up the nonskid more than your picture shows. It must have been a thin coat of paint, and very well and evenly applied.

Couldn't you mechanically scrape a bit and see if any paint comes off? That would tell you where you were.

The chips in the nonskid peaks look like old worn nonskid gelcoat.

Mark

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yeah I agree, that looks like gelcoat non skid to me.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts