SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
sorry for you problems...I have seen worse but this is all due to idiots not caring about your boat, so that would be the yard worker

where you there when the boat was hauled...?

you have to be really careful on some boat designs on where you place those stands...

even its a fin keeler the weight should and almost always rests on the keel, blocked up

the stands go on the sides of the hull just under the waterline and sometomes right at the waterline and they are chained up from side to side to prevent slippage...

this is the result especially on light boats, older flexy boats etc

I can give you an example of a boat that you cannot do this to in the aft stern are is the newport 30

no stringers and its too soft to put stands back there like this

the damage while not catastrophic will require quite a bit of work

to me at the least what you need to do is block the boat up correctly in places where there will be no adverse pressure on the deformed areas...

then inside you need to remove and grind away that stringer

then from the inside you need to jack up the hull and press outwards in the indented area...till the hull regains its shape...slowly and steadily

all the while getting ready to add new stringers, glass them in, prime and paint over...

this is if course if there is no indication the hull is deformed...just specific spots...

if your boat looks lobsided from side to side at that area you know you have a big problem

you can also add bulkheads in certain hulls that never came with them as an added measure to stiffen up the hull

usually this is done in stern areas like behind lazarettes or in the ve berth when adding inner stays or watertight chain lockers etc..etc...

anywhoo

good luck

a pic from the stern showing all the hull and from the bow again showing all the hull will give a better overall scenario to look at...

peace

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Nice boat! close to identical to mine.

Kinda wish my cradle (my worse design ever) had 4wheel drive!

"the things you can do with ford "twin I beams" and 3 inch pipe!
I see your pads are spaced almost exactly the same...id try to make it otherwise or not use these cradles on these boats for prolonged periods of time without spreading the loads aft and point stress it less or figure something else out:)

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
if the boat was listed come on guys! thats boatyard 101!

Im not one to sue ever, have never done it, but when something like this happens id let them know it and have it big time...

while a LOT of boats have spft spots, and shouldnt be laid up for prolonged periods in certain spots...

it was excarcebated by being listed and supprted in only certain areas...too inwards...

at least try to get some yard work or materials or yard time for free or deep discount or something but dont just let them get away with this

its very very bad work, and any respectable yard should be looking at ways to make you happy and be safe with your boat

like others and myself have mentioned there are ways to fix this...sometimes you get lucky and the hull pops back out but it does look like the stringer is bent or slightly cracked inwards so you at the least need to fix that, and if you are not comfortabledoing that yourself that means you need to spend a chunk of change to have someone else do it

and the yard should be bending over backwards to facilitate that!

thats my advice

dont just sue, and file a claim take action and make your opinion heard

I see responsibility in both parties owner and yard btw...

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
bummer...they will likely argue that...

let us know what happens and if you need any help with the fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.