SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was stripping my buddy's old Lewmar 52ST over the weekend and one of the gear spindles would NOT budge. The other three were not easy to get out but this one just would not even think of breaking free.:mad:

Tried putting penetrating oil on it. Tapped on it (with a brass drift of course), Beat on it a little harder to try and break it fee. It will NOT move. So that means that we can't get the ratchet gear and associated pawl gear out to clean. See schematic HERE: It's part #8, 20, 22 that are the issue.
http://www.pyacht.com/graphics/Lew_WG_5256st.gif

Even tried to hit the edge of the spindle to get it to rotate the tiniest bit thinking that would free it. Nope.

So... any suggestions for getting this out?

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Soak that sucker in Marvel Myster Oil, PB Blaster, kerosene or the magic potion of your choice for a week and come back to it.
Pics might help.
Good luck.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Take the winch off the deck, and you should be able to tap the pin out from underneath.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take the winch off the deck, and you should be able to tap the pin out from underneath.
Thought about this but the three bolts that secure the winch assembly to the through bolted base are also not able to move. They have an allen wrench head on them and while we had the winch apart I suggested to my buddy that he hit them all (and the spindle) w/ some penetrating stuff. (he had PB) So we'll see. What I need to do is rig up some kind of lever to try and pop the spindle up from beneath w/ a small pin.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Most modern winches use five or six bolts... not three. If the bolts that secure the winch to the base are frozen, that's a good reason to undo them and replace them IMHO.

Thought about this but the three bolts that secure the winch assembly to the through bolted base are also not able to move. They have an allen wrench head on them and while we had the winch apart I suggested to my buddy that he hit them all (and the spindle) w/ some penetrating stuff. (he had PB) So we'll see. What I need to do is rig up some kind of lever to try and pop the spindle up from beneath w/ a small pin.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The base is through bolted to the hull w/ 6 machine screws. The winch platform (for lack of a better name; it's the ONLY thing on the schematic that isn't named!) is bolted to the base w/ 3 machine screws w/ an ALLEN head. They ain't budging! I did suggest that we hit em all w/ a squirt of PB Blaster so that we can try again at some point.
Check out the link to the schematic if this doesn't make sense.

I've stripped countless winches and have never had this happen. Could probably do the newer Lewmars w/ my eye's closed. But like most things in life I'll learn something from this!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the exact same winches with the exact same problem.

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Can you safely put a heat gun to the exterior metal and try to expand it off what is stuck. I can not see the pic in the original dated link. Heat + snake oil of one's choosing, is often the trick.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I like PB blaster for stuck pieces. It could take a few days of application followed by some tapping with a rubber mallet. Be patient. Heat is also a possibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you safely put a heat gun to the exterior metal and try to expand it off what is stuck. I can not see the pic in the original dated link. Heat + snake oil of one's choosing, is often the trick.

Thank you for the reply. I have heard that suggestion. I guess the idea is if you heat the pin, it would expand and then, when it cools and contracts, break whatever bond is holding it. I haven’t messed with heating metal since my high school shop class, and that was a long time ago. So I don’t really have the experience to say, but I would be afraid of damaging the winch and/or the boat. Seems like you could also cause a fire with all the lubricants in the winch. But I really don’t want to try and remove the winches from the deck, the access is beyond terrible.

I hadn’t thought of a heat gun, though. I was thinking more like a propane flame. I don’t see how a heat gun could really do any serious damage, do you? Sounds like it would be worth a try.

thanx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im not really visuslizing this pin, but....
Some pins can be pushed out using a strong c clamp
To push it out you would have to remove the winch from the deck, which promises to be a pretty major hassle. Here are pictures of a similar pin on a similar winch. It should just slide right out. If you can't get the pin out, you can’t service the pawls and the gears and then, i guess eventually, the whole winch will just freeze up.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Recipe Cuisine Cooking Food Metal

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
If its a no go without a heck of a lot of work...
Pack towels around the winch and go over it with wd40 spray nozzle to clean/wash it out..the best you can
Then see what the gears feel like
Use preferred lube or lithium spray grease
Reassemble and see if you get those sweet crisp clicks

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
I guess the idea is if you heat the pin, it would expand and then, when it cools and contracts, break whatever bond is holding it.
Not exactly. I'd heat the gear around the pin and try to microscopically expand it away from the pin. Might only be enough to get some penetrating oil in there.

In the end is sounds like a good PSA to service the winches routinely, so they don't bind up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts