SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sandpiper 565 and the keel is stuck and will not lower down. The crew mechanism is fine except it rises up into the cabin when I try to lower the keel. Any suggestion how to get the keel unstuck?

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
This is usually caused by marine growth in the center board trunk. Does your Sandpiper sail in salt water? If so then barnacle growth can easily jam up the works.
I'd find a long, thin, flat tool (something like a metal ruler) to use to dislodge any marine growth around the center board and trunk. Mask, snorkel or scuba equipment would also help.
Sometimes going out on a 'bouncy' day (when there are waves) can be enough to free up a snag like this. Unfortunately this is this also the kind of day when you would want your center board deployed.
Good luck.

·
scurvy dog
57 Posts
I don't have a sandpiper, but in my boat, the board is lofted on a steel cable.
I can pour a little bleach into the trunk from above, clears all barnacles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a sandpiper, but in my boat, the board is lofted on a steel cable.
I can pour a little bleach into the trunk from above, clears all barnacles.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried your suggestion but the keel is still stuck. I thought it might be barnacles but mayeb not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is usually caused by marine growth in the center board trunk. Does your Sandpiper sail in salt water? If so then barnacle growth can easily jam up the works.
I'd find a long, thin, flat tool (something like a metal ruler) to use to dislodge any marine growth around the center board and trunk. Mask, snorkel or scuba equipment would also help.
Sometimes going out on a 'bouncy' day (when there are waves) can be enough to free up a snag like this. Unfortunately this is this also the kind of day when you would want your center board deployed.
Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I have been using a long saw blade to slide up around the keel. There is some blockage in some places, have not got them worked out yet. Not sure now if it is marine growth or something else. I have the boat up on a slip way but it is hard working on my back reaching up. I have now cut part of the top casing off and will try working down the top. I have tried pounding it with a sledge hammer but it still does not budge. I will keep working at it until I can eliminate all the blockages and hope that works but I expect that my sailing season is over before it started..

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The bleach kills the barnacles but really don't remove them...
Remove the top cap of your center board well and using a steel yard stick or a flat piece of steel and slide it down between the center board and the well. This will help remove anything that shouldn't be there.
Also check the pivot pin and the babbit bearing that your CB swings on. It could be flat on the top and creating fiction in lowering it.
Also check the CB itself. If a low grade of steel it could have swollen with rust and causing problems from that.
Check your well box and see if the wood(?) is swollen from a lack of paint maintenance care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have removed the top of the center board well and it is easier to work on the keel than from below. The steel yard stick gets stuck in some places and it is difficult getting it back out. I will keep trying to work it around. Some clearances are only wide enough for a saw blade.

If the steel part of the keel is swollen with rust or the well box is swollen, what are the remedies? Thanks

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
On the steel Center board. Have the boat on the hard and drop it out and determine if it is salvagable or not. If it is, clean the rust off, pickle the steel then primer and paint it with bottom paint.
On the swollen wood of the CB Well you need to let it dry out then primer & paint it with bottom paint.
But while the CB is out, you can check for dry rot and other ills that may affect the wood structure of your CB well and keel.
Check the pivot pin for wear and the babbit bearing also. Along with the connection point of your CB Pendant.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Looks like you have top and bottom access so work a wire saw along the keel sides. You would need a friemd below and a good blocking job on the keel.

Use this wire saw $7.50

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stuck keel-success

Finally got the keel unstuck, with aid of reciprical saw and prying. Thanks for you suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got the keel unstuck, with aid of reciprical saw and prying. Thanks for you suggestions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

On the steel Center board. Have the boat on the hard and drop it out and determine if it is salvagable or not. If it is, clean the rust off, pickle the steel then primer and paint it with bottom paint.
On the swollen wood of the CB Well you need to let it dry out then primer & paint it with bottom paint.
But while the CB is out, you can check for dry rot and other ills that may affect the wood structure of your CB well and keel.
Check the pivot pin for wear and the babbit bearing also. Along with the connection point of your CB Pendant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: stuck keel-success

Is have sailfish similar to yours and have removed the keel from above as the housing cap mod was already done.

It was a tight fit and I can see there is a potential problem with the fibreglass casing of the keel swelling making it stick in the keel sleeve. Very interested it what u found and how u fixed it.

·
Master Mariner
8,374 Posts
Sounds like you also need to address reattaching the mechanism?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: stuck keel-success

Is have sailfish similar to yours and have removed the keel from above as the housing cap mod was already done.

It was a tight fit and I can see there is a potential problem with the fibreglass casing of the keel swelling making it stick in the keel sleeve. Very interested it what u found and how u fixed it.
Sandpipers have centerboard that is raised and lowered by a screw mechanism. The board is (semi) permanently mounted to the boat. This is quite different from your sailfish.

As you know since you own one, sailfish have a wooden daggerboard that is raised and lowered by hand and is generally removed from the boat along with the rudder when the boat is not in use. If it is getting sticky, you should just be able to clean out the inside of the daggerboard slot when the daggerboard is out. Alternatively, you could carefully sand down the daggerboard to make it a little thinner next time you varnish it. AMF stopped manufacturing these boats decades ago, so if the daggerboard case hasn't swelled up yet, it seems unlikely that it would do so now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The CB on my sandpiper 565 got badly stuck twice so I am glad to share the solution with others.

First is to explain that barnacles had grown in the well. On screwing the CB up, any increase of resistance as you turn the crank, is a sign that you are getting it stuck. Stop, do not force the centre boars up. The structure is not designed to exert the same tonnage of force in the other direction. You can try, but the tonnage of force will just pop the table mount off.

To get unstuck, get a bow saw blade of a good long length 24" approx. Wear thick leather gloves.

Try to go all around the gap to locate the places that are seized. Saw away.

Also I drilled open the top of the well head and poures hull cleaning acid down there.

Next you can hammer with mallet or maul on the head of the jack screw.

In desperation I drilled a large eye screw into the bottom of the CB and laid a crow bar through the eye of the screw. This allowed me to hammer a downward thrust /impact which did cause it to come loose.

It is a tight fit to begin with. Any barnacle or antifoul build up or even deformation of the shape may result in a major friction point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts