SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a small leak that comes through the cabin top where the mast wires run. I'm thinking it probably comes under the mast at the step. Anybody see where it could do any harm to spray that cavity with the expanding foam used for weatherproofing residential windows? Or any other ideas short of unstopping the mast?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
The problem would be if you stop the leak from inside the water will accumulate and seep into the deck core (if I understand what you are describing correctly). You might end up turning an annoying little drip into a serious wet core problem. It's always better to stop the water from entering than from exiting.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
That step looks like you have a round peg (mast) in a square hole (step). I had one like that and fixed it with the following process. Cost was two VERY long all stainless hose clamps.

Get a dead innertube from a tire store and cut a piece out of it sufficient to wrap 1 1/2 times around the mast.

Wrap it around the mast "bottom up" where the top will sit and hose clamp it. Before you clamp it, arrange it so the exposed seam will be centered on the aft face of the mast.

Fold it down over the clamp, wrap it over the mast step and put another hose clamp around the outside to hold it to the step.

Run a bead of caulking into the small depression at the top which was formed by rolling it back on itself - this will keep water from sitting in the small depression.

Presto - no more water coming in (at deck level).

Reactions: Classic30

·
Registered
270 Posts
We do something similar to what SloopJohnB does only we use mast boot tape and the bead of sealant usually 4200 or whatever I have opened. I like the inner tube idea though and will try that this year. After we tape the area it is covered with a canvas mast boot cover my partner made which is pleasing to the eye and heps to seal the area.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I like the idea of a boot but the shape of the mast step presents a problem. You can't see it in the photo but the step is really a rectangle shape with about 24 inches on the long side. I think it is intended to span two bulkheads. There still may be a way to make it work. Maybe a combination of a boot and a sealant.

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
I've got a small leak that comes through the cabin top where the mast wires run. I'm thinking it probably comes under the mast at the step. Anybody see where it could do any harm to spray that cavity with the expanding foam used for weatherproofing residential windows? Or any other ideas short of unstopping the mast?

Thanks
look for something called an Emily knob
it is used in household electrical and available in grey pvc for heavy uv protection a little urethane paint on the exposed surfaces

1 - 11 of 11 Posts