SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have learned much about zincs. I didn't have one. lost propellers, found it, and broken prop shafts, now replaced.

Now there is a drip at the stuffing box. I have attempted to tighten it but it still leaks, one drip every two seconds.

I DO need to get it to stop right? Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Rick

·
Registered
967 Posts
This topics has been well discussed......

do a topic search and you'll get a wealth information, but here is the cliff note version.

• Yes, getting the stuffing box to drip minimally, or not at all, at rest is a goal.
  • To adjust, back off the locking nut from the packing nut.
  • Once the backing nut is loose, slowly tighten the packing nut about 1/6 a turn at a time and monitor the drip rate, at rest, until it just stops.
  • Once the drip stops at rest, tighten the locking nut. Don't go super nuts on torquing the locking nut as, you may have to readjust.
  • Fire up the motor and put in gear and motor around for about 3 to 5 minutes slowly. It's best if you can get a helper to steer while you look at the stuffing box when moving.
  • While motoring the optimal drip rate is one that is somewhere between 1 drop every 5 to 20 seconds or a rate that if you touch the packing nut and shaft, it should be cool to the touch. If it anything more than a little warm, the drip rate is not enough, so you need to re-adjust.
  • If the shaft is cool when turning, and the drip rate isn't excessive, put the motor in neutral (stop the shaft from turning) and see what the drip rate is. It may take a few minutes to settle down. If it is not too fast (1 drop every 20 seconds or more), then consider that a success.
  • Over time you may have to re-adjust every few weeks or months.
  • If after several attempts at adjustment, you can not get the drip rate right, the packing may need to be replaced.
I hope that this helps.

DrB

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you DrB,

This was very helpful. I have found that the was leak due to another problem. The propellor shaft tube has a hole in it. So I am about to get the boat hauled again and have it replaced. Wish me luck.

Sincerely,
Rick

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
harpguitar,
If you are going through the trouble of hauling the boat for replacing the shaft tube you should seriously consider replacing the packing in the stuffing box. Do you know when it was last replaced (a nominal 5 year maintenance task)? It is pretty easy to do and you will rest easy knowing that your boat is not filling up with water, drip by drip while you are not there.
Here is a link to the best on-line resource for telling you how to do this:
Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Maine Sailing at pbase.com
PS: use the Gore GFO packing recommended in the link. I used it and can tell you that it has worked great for about 5 years. Probably time for me to think about replacing my own packing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. It was just done a week or so ago. I will get it looked at while things are being done. Will replace cutlass bearing also. Hope I can be back on the water in a couple of weeks.

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts