SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Over Hill Sailing Club
3,689 Posts
Reaction score
The barbs on that nipple look rounded over. Maybe you should consider replacing the whole unit. It's possible someone may have used a file on it already when they had the same problem you're having. Heating it up enough to stretch it that far is a bad idea. I would not take a chance with something so inaccessible and critical to staying afloat. Maybe you'll get lucky and the new threaded part will be the same as the old so you can leave the hull side on.

· Over Hill Sailing Club
3,689 Posts
Reaction score
It seems kind a strange that there is such a misfit with the available hose sizes. Is it possibly metric? Here's a link to the Buck Algonquin sizes:Packing Boxes for sale. Buy your Packing Boxes today and save. If you can id the exact unit you have maybe you can get the right parts. I do not agree that you should try to stretch a misfitting hose. It should slide over snugly, with a bit of effort. Applying a little hot-water type heat is ok but don't go for the torch! You'll carbonize the rubber and displace the wire inside, weakening the hose.

· Over Hill Sailing Club
3,689 Posts
Reaction score
I feel your pain:) A couple of months ago, on a mooring in FL, I took on the long delayed task of separating the shaft coupling. The bolts had been soaked with PbB for a LONG time and were going nowhere. This is at arm's reach, mind you, of course, where it cannot be seen except with mirrors. Well, I went to Home Depot and bought that small profile Milwaukee rechargeable recip saw and a bunch of metal blades and succeeded in cutting off the nuts by feel. What a great little tool! It took the better part of a day and three or four blades but I finally got all the bolts cut off. The shaft alignment, which I had been worried about, since it had not been checked in so long was, of course perfect, needing no mount adjustments:)

· Over Hill Sailing Club
3,689 Posts
Reaction score
Made my day.
Don't think I'd want to do the same job in a gas boat. Quite the spark show! Melted the lens on one of my LED lights.
Jim
Yes, that's why I didn't grind the bolts off which would have been much quicker. I have a small grinder on board that actually works off the inverter but thought grinding would be a great way to start a fire and to do damage to the tranny and anything else, not being able to actually see it. No way to control the sparks way in there. With the little saw, I was able to go slow and check it with a mirror now and then to make sure I was cutting only what needed to be cut. Was able to slice the nut side off flush with the coupling, doing no damage to the coupling, tranny seal, or anything else.

I'm not a big fan of Milwaukee tools but this is a great little saw to have on the boat:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hackzall-Reciprocating-Saw-1-Battery-Kit-2420-21/202311908

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.