SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
The o.d. of the shaft log is presumably going to be the same as the stuffing box, so you're in for a nightmare back aboard as well. You need the right size hose. You can't stretch an internally reinforced hose. An 1/8" is a lot. I've had nightmares trying to retrofit SAE hoses onto metric fittings that were so close, you could hardly tell.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the PSS shaft seal, but will offer more info for future consideration. They recommend replacement every 5 yrs. The cost difference between the entire unit and only the wearables isn't that great and many just do the whole thing. I still say they are worth it, but more to consider in the budget. The standard stuffing box should have this mystery hose replaced too, so you should buy a few extra lengths, just in case.

p.s. the right size hose is really necessary. While I appreciate some suggesting you try, a reinforced hose just doesn't stretch. That's essentially the reason they reinforce them.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
That's a standard boat day. One step forward, one step back. Somehow, I still get where I am going. No one knows how. That 2" hose identification was a plus.

I just installed my entire dodger, bimini and side curtains in the dark. It is going to rain tonight. Can't wait to see what I did wrong in the morning.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
.....These dripless seals are marvellous, but if they do fail, the boat will sink far quicker than would usually be the case with a leaky stuffing box.
Probably the same as the connector hose letting go on a stuffing box. Although, I've never heard of a PSS bellows letting go, especially within the 5 yr recommended lifespan. Has anyone else?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.