SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
I do believe you are going to have to get the right hose. I wouldn't waste my time trying to fit the two together. Using enough heat to get that hose all the way on the gland will most likely damage the hose and weaken it considerably. This is a semi permanent installation, so it makes no sense not doing it right the first time.

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
I took the day off and visited Dragon Wing today. I cleaned the shaft log and used calipers to measure it. The OD is 2". I used the calipers to measure the stuffing box the yesterday morning (rather than just using the tape measure across the widest part of the mouth), too - it's 2", not 1 7/8". That made me feel better, because I couldn't get any 1 7/8" hose that was more than 2 ply. I called a local dealer of Buck Algonquin hose, and they ordered some 2" ID for me. They said that their orders typically arrive next day, but they are only open M-F, so I took off today to get the hose. I also took the prop shaft and coupling/flange to the prop shop.

Have I mentioned that I don't really have the best of luck?

The owner of the prop shop is the only one who can run the lathe that is used to true the shaft and to do the fitting and facing. He had a doctor's appointment this morning, and the staff said they weren't sure if he was coming back today. Normally, it's the kind of thing they can do same-day, while you wait. But not today.

Since I was there and was waiting for the stuffing box hose, I knocked out a few small projects at the boat. I called the vendor at 1:30 PM to see if the package arrived. They had trouble finding the box, but eventually they did. When they opened it, the hose clamps I ordered were in there, but not the hose.

At this rate, I could have dropped the prop shaft off tomorrow (Saturday) and I could have ordered the stupid hose online, thus avoiding wasting a vacation day. 'Twas not a good day.
I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I hope so. Yesterday one of the fittings on our fresh water pressure system manifold developed a leak. With the closest Home Depot 300 miles to the north west and since we're headed south, we tried a couple of o-rings with no success. Silicone sealant is holding for now, but being on a French island there is no chance for a fitting with US threads here. Next possible island which might, just might, have something which will do, is St. Lucia, but being a British island I'm not at all convinced their hardware stores will carry US threaded fittings. So, at my best estimate, it will be about 2 months before I can get a $3.00 part on the boat, never mind the $25.00 shipping on that $3 part. So, a week end to wait isn't really all that bad. :) Ain't yachting fun?

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
Nicely done. Nobody at a boat yard could have done it better!
Now you have a new trade, should your job get sent overseas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.