SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1994 Catalina 270
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be repacking my stuffing box on my Catalina 270. (1" Diameter O.D. Shaft)

The specs in my book tell me that it has "3/16" x 3/16" packing rings"

The new packing comes in lengths of 2ft. When I order the new packing, I am assuming that I will order 3/16" x 2 ft. I also assume that 2 ft will be more than plenty for my needs. Am I correct on both of these points?

Here is the link for Westmarine packing that I am looking at.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I would measure the stuffing box, since the manual and what is actually on the boat don't always match. I'd also recommend that you get the Gore-Tex GFO packing material rather than the older stuff. Keeps the bilges drier...

·
Salty
106 Posts
I have read in other posts this process can be done while still in the water. I am thinking you better have a plan "B". If something should go wrong, your bildge/battery cant keep up with the water for long.

·
Registered
452 Posts
What can go wrong where? When you pull first ring out, make sure that size is matching the new one. If new one isn't going in, then flatten it with a hammer...

·
Salty
106 Posts
What can go wrong where? When you pull first ring out, make sure that size is matching the new one. If new one isn't going in, then flatten it with a hammer...

What can go wrong where? On a boat, are you serious? I can think of a dozen times when I had everything planned perfectly (so I thought) only to have something unexpected go wrong, break, strip, drop, spill, crack, split, run out, run dry, too wet, too much, not enough, wrong part, missing pieces.........ad infinitum.

I am not saying it cant be done...just have a plan "B".

MSter

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,427 Posts
What can go wrong where? On a boat, are you serious? I can think of a dozen times when I had everything planned perfectly (so I thought) only to have something unexpected go wrong, break, strip, drop, spill, crack, split, run out, run dry, too wet, too much, not enough, wrong part, missing pieces.........ad infinitum.
MSter
Well said MSter! You just described a good half of my projects :laugher

1 - 9 of 9 Posts