SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is some time since I changed the shaft packing on the stuffing box. ... close to 25 years.
It performs perfectly, dripping only a little when running. It has been very reliable indeed.
There still is some adjustment there too - look to the picture (arrowed).
Since it works so well I am loathe to disturb it - nothing leaks excessively or runs hot.
I certainly will not disturb the rubber hose. If that one does not re-seal I will have to change it and that will mean I have to lift the boat again, then pull the shaft coupling and then pull the shaft.
Last time I had to cut the coupling off (it was the old-style coupling without the pinch bolts) it was so utterly jammed. Exit one prop-shaft !

The boat will be out of the water later in the season, so I guess it is time to change the stuffing box packing. I will manage OK. It is not difficult. I think I stacked-up about 3 of the "horse-shoe" elements last time.

I hear horror stories about graphited packing. Apparently it can WAY accelerate shaft corrosion.
I guess I must avoid the "grey" stuff?

What do you recommend as "safe" and orthodox?

I may indeed still have some of the packing I used last time (?). I think I can find it. It is still in its little bag in a drawer somewhere.

Rockter.

Attachments

bell ringer
Well after lots of reading I went with Duramax Ultra-X packing. It is graphite and therefore "not allowed", but shouldn't/wouldn't be a problem if you maintain your zincs.

Registered
Catalina 315
Last time I did mine, I read MaineSails advice on his marinehowto.com site. He talks about a variety of packing, and addresses which ones can cause major problems with certain shaft materials.

He doesn't steer you in any particular direction, but for my needs, I decided to use good old flax packing. I think it's what Noah used. Tried and true.

Master Mariner
I've stuck with flax. It's what I'm used to and I understand how to use it. I tried several of the newer materials (one of the advantages of operating other peoples' boats) and I've found little to no advantage in the costlier products.

bell ringer
I've stuck with flax. It's what I'm used to and I understand how to use it. I tried several of the newer materials (one of the advantages of operating other peoples' boats) and I've found little to no advantage in the costlier products.
I feel the advantages of the better packing all depends if you care about that advantage.

My last 2 mechanical seals always leaked with engine off and sprayed with it motoring. Zero drips under power weren't an advantage to me. But slow drips while anchored/moored/marina always resulted in slime and odor so getting rid of that was an advantage to me.

So last month I got rid of the mechanical seal and went to a packing gland (not a spud) unit with the high end graphite packing. Still breaking in the dripping under power, but it doesn't drip with the engine off (and it cut VERY cleanly).

Registered
"Graphite is the most noble element on the galvanic scale . . . " It can also abrade vs. flax packing. I looked at it, almost bought it, stayed with the tried and true. One less thing below the waterline to think about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts